Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I checked the culvert today and the beaver is still there. It's all blocked again and the water in the pond is up almost 2 feet. So I know what I will be doing in the morning. I need to invest in chest waders the water is now above my rubbers and is cold. When I got up this morning all tje puddles were froze over. I'm going to try using a ladder to see if I can manage to keep my feet dry. And hopefully I dont fall in lol.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I'm not looking forward to it. But I have a peice of chain link fence that I will put across it tomorrow after I get it cleared. It wont stop the beavers but will make it easier for me to keep it clear. I'm also thinking of trying the PVC pipe solution in the video that was posted on how to deal with beavers.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Please be careful, and have someone with you. Mucking around in freezing water above waist level can result in unforseen calamity. Also, protect your hands. You don't want an other repeat of the cellulitis that sidelined you last spring. Once a person has cellulitis, they are more prone to it in the future, or so I'm led to understand.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please be careful, and have someone with you. Mucking around in freezing water above waist level can result in unforseen calamity. Also, protect your hands. You don't want an other repeat of the cellulitis that sidelined you last spring. Once a person has cellulitis, they are more prone to it in the future, or so I'm led to understand.
Thanks. I will be careful. I'm waiting till tomorrow really bad weather again today but tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beaver are EXTREMELY industrious. They won't stop!!!! That is until they have formed the "pond" they want. So, if you put the fence out away from the culvert, they will block the water at that point.. Then you will have a "dam" built. The will stop as the water will rise on their side. Then excess water will run over their dam & thru culvert. Seems all can be happy, so long as the pooled area isn't onto land not wanted flooded.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The forecast for today called for sun and clouds. They couldn't be more wrong the wind is strong enough to knock u over and its snowing. Good day to wire the barn.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the shed is wired and I managed to install a new storm door on the front of our place. With the help of my father in law. The wind was blowing in the back so the front was somewhat sheltered from the wind. While he's here we plan to tackle the culvert in the morning before he goes back home.

20191108_180620.jpg