Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So according to the news we had 36cm of snow with more possible on Thursday. I hope they are wrong. I like snow but its wearing me out lol. I had to shovel my way to the chicken coops the snow was over waste deep. Surprisingly there was no snow by the barn the coop's are about 100ft away.
The plow truck is acting up so I have to dig out the plow for the atv. It's out front somewhere buried in the snow lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel your pain, PJ. I've had to dig the snow down off the drifts with a shovel, so the snow blower could then churn through it. And often the snow pushed off the deck gets so high, I fear that I'll not be able to clear the deck with the next storm. The deck is about 6' off ground level. And going out 2 - 3 x during a blizzard to knock the snow off the sun room peaked tarp roof... in the middle of the night. Oh Spring, where for art thou? So far, knock on wood, we are having a nice winter, after a horridly cold fall with single digit nights.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are supposed to be geting another storm Thursday I'm hoping we dont lol. I found the arv plow but still looking for the mount. If I dont find it I'll make a new one.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cannot fathom digging snow. That is so far off my radar, I can't even imagine.

imagine digging so much of it that by the middle of January you no longer have a place to put it and you have to build ramps to push it up and over and that all the snow banks along the roads show layers of previous storms going back for months and you have several months yet to go. i have printed pictures of the place where i used to live where there was a snow drift coming halfway up the window. the bottom of that window was 7ft above the ground and then of course add the halfway up part... :) all the houses in that area were built with the first floor about 4-5ft above the ground because you needed room to push snow off the porch and stairs, etc. the last winter i was up there we had 345 inches of snow. i considered it a going away present. :)

the houses were also built with a good steep pitch to the roof so that the ice and snow could come off, but you surely did not want to walk anywhere near the houses that had snow/ice on the eaves. i lived in the attic for several years and when the ice/snow would fall off you could feel the house shake on the release and also when it hit the ground. scared the crap outta ya each time. several tons at a time...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
imagine digging so much of it that by the middle of January you no longer have a place to put it and you have to build ramps to push it up and over and that all the snow banks along the roads show layers of previous storms going back for months and you have several months yet to go. i have printed pictures of the place where i used to live where there was a snow drift coming halfway up the window. the bottom of that window was 7ft above the ground and then of course add the halfway up part... :) all the houses in that area were built with the first floor about 4-5ft above the ground because you needed room to push snow off the porch and stairs, etc. the last winter i was up there we had 345 inches of snow. i considered it a going away present. :)

the houses were also built with a good steep pitch to the roof so that the ice and snow could come off, but you surely did not want to walk anywhere near the houses that had snow/ice on the eaves. i lived in the attic for several years and when the ice/snow would fall off you could feel the house shake on the release and also when it hit the ground. scared the crap outta ya each time. several tons at a time...
All I got to say to that is...…….uhhhh……..NO! :lol:

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This was me plowing my road a few days ago the wife was following me in the other trucking case I got stuck.
image000000(7).jpg
We are supposed to have another storm this coming Friday the forecast calls for 15-60cm depending on how the storm tracks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't even, never, nope....never get into that. It's hard to even imagine snow like that. OK...I've seen pictures of a "tunnel" that was the road between snow piles.

I will endure the hurricanes we have here on occasion before that kind of snow. Besides -- I hate the cold!!

About 11 or 12 years ago we had a BAD snow (for us) at about a foot plus drifts. Major issues! LOL Here 5-6 inches is significant. You guys are talking 5-6 FEET. Not for me. Nope. I'm a southern gal and prefer sweating to the cold.

When we had that snow I shoveled and shoveled. To the barns, the water, down the 200' driveway. What a chore. Now, I have a tractor with blades & front end loader. No snow....good!!