Plain Dress

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
An excerpt from a book I am currently reading, The Life You,ve Always Wanted, Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People by John Ortberg.

We know that as Christians we are called out to "come out and be separate," that our faith and spiritual commitment should make us different somehow. But if we are not marked by greater and greater amounts of love and joy, we will inevitably look for substitute ways of distinguishing ourselves from those who are not Christians. This deep pattern is almost inescapable for religious people: If we do not become changed from the inside-out-- if we don't morph--we will be tempted to find external methods to satisfy our need to feel that we're different from those outside the faith. If we cannot be transformed, we will settle for being informed or conformed.

I just thought it interesting to read that in lieu of this discussion. I don't dress plain, nor do I ever want to. I do dress somewhat modestly, although probably not by alot of your standards. For me, being called to 'come out and be separate' , to me, is purely how I act, and not how I dress. Now, dressing provocatively or sleazy, is defintely not my style. I do believe that what you wear says alot about who you are.
You summed it up beautifully!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
An excerpt from a book I am currently reading, The Life You,ve Always Wanted, Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People by John Ortberg.

We know that as Christians we are called out to "come out and be separate," that our faith and spiritual commitment should make us different somehow. But if we are not marked by greater and greater amounts of love and joy, we will inevitably look for substitute ways of distinguishing ourselves from those who are not Christians. This deep pattern is almost inescapable for religious people: If we do not become changed from the inside-out-- if we don't morph--we will be tempted to find external methods to satisfy our need to feel that we're different from those outside the faith. If we cannot be transformed, we will settle for being informed or conformed.

I just thought it interesting to read that in lieu of this discussion. I don't dress plain, nor do I ever want to. I do dress somewhat modestly, although probably not by alot of your standards. For me, being called to 'come out and be separate' , to me, is purely how I act, and not how I dress. Now, dressing provocatively or sleazy, is defintely not my style. I do believe that what you wear says alot about who you are.
That is very interesting. But at the same time the Lord changes each of us and makes us more modest naturally, I think. Modest does not have to be plain.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree, --modest does not mean plain. And what I deem modest, some people do not, some might find it too revealing, others think it is very conservative. Point is, it is how I feel comfortable--and how I am comfortable portraying myself as a Christian, and as a woman.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I agree, --modest does not mean plain. And what I deem modest, some people do not, some might find it too revealing, others think it is very conservative. Point is, it is how I feel comfortable--and how I am comfortable portraying myself as a Christian, and as a woman.
I hear ya!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
To go along w/that, an interesting tidbit I heard, don't recall where now, and have no way of verifying it. But, we've probably all seen pics of the various native people in places like Africa, SA, etc. And most of them wear very little, if any clothes. But, those that became Christians, will suddenly start to wear more clothes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when did this become about Christians and clothes? LOL

well, heck I guess it was thru the thread in a way....:p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The whole premise of 'plain dress' is based on--being in this world, but not of this world, in relation to being a Christian or a worldly person. It has been the undertone of the majority of this thread.--see BB's second post on pg one, as well as explanations to chickenone.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting thread...
what is also nice is to see how many different folks there are on this forum yet can all hold a thread like this open wihtout bickering...

personally, i dont dress moderatly, i dont dress sleezy...truth be told id be quite happy if i didnt have to dress at all lol.

but realy, i am not in any way shape or form fashionably...im just me and wear whatever i feel comfortable in...

usually thats 1 of 3 styles

style one
jeans and t's
i will admit my t-s/shirts in general tend ot be quite low cut, i have a very large chest and have some serious issues with clothes being up around my neck/on my chest ect...i dont know why but i feel like im choking (even if its baggy) ive taken normal crewneck ts and sliced a slit in the neck down a few inches just to make it doable for me ot continue breathing (i suffer form a number of mental issues including claustraphobia anxietyy and ocd and my doc thinks this is an apearance of all 3.)
i simply cant wear skirts for every day...im a big girl, i always have been and my thighs rub...when it gets realy hot i cant stand the feeling of sweat rolling down the backs of my legs ect...so jeans it is...and i prefer them to be well fitted because otherwise it feels like there falling down...

modest...not realy...
but comfortable...and nooens looking at me anyway...

style 2, is rare its my "im showing off" look and is typically form fitted on top and flattering on bottom...its much like style #1 but with sparklies or details on the top lol.

style #3 is what i would wear 24/7 if i could get away with it...
and that would be
DSC02882.jpg

and
suck.jpg

i spend most of my summer working as a pirate at local rennesance faires, and when im not working im attending for fun...
and quite honeslty i feel most comfortable in a GOOD bodice, a pair of bloomers with a lifted of split skirt and a comfy chemise
usually combined with my hat, ghillie mocs, a tankard, more pouches than i care to count most days, my own dinner ware, and my guild pins...

am i the only professional pirate on the forum :p
the sad part is, when im at faire in full garb my ocd, anxieties and agoraphobia wash away with the imagined ocean breeze.

then again when your surrounded by your best frineds, sexy men in kilts and frozen chocolate covered fruits with potential freudian feelings...like this
frozenbannana.jpg

its HARD to be self consious...LOL...

and all at the same time i have a great deal of respect for those who feel comfortable dressing modestly, more so people who are HAPPY and comfortable in themselves to wear what THEY feel comfortable in.

within reason of course...mirrors were invented and should be used...if you are 300lbs please dont squeeze yourself into a size 4 string bikini, for all us fat chicks in the world there needs to be limits...
and if you want to dress modestly, that doesnt mean dowdy... :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
interesting thread...
what is also nice is to see how many different folks there are on this forum yet can all hold a thread like this open wihtout bickering...

personally, i dont dress moderatly, i dont dress sleezy...truth be told id be quite happy if i didnt have to dress at all lol.

but realy, i am not in any way shape or form fashionably...im just me and wear whatever i feel comfortable in...

usually thats 1 of 3 styles

style one
jeans and t's
i will admit my t-s/shirts in general tend ot be quite low cut, i have a very large chest and have some serious issues with clothes being up around my neck/on my chest ect...i dont know why but i feel like im choking (even if its baggy) ive taken normal crewneck ts and sliced a slit in the neck down a few inches just to make it doable for me ot continue breathing (i suffer form a number of mental issues including claustraphobia anxietyy and ocd and my doc thinks this is an apearance of all 3.)
i simply cant wear skirts for every day...im a big girl, i always have been and my thighs rub...when it gets realy hot i cant stand the feeling of sweat rolling down the backs of my legs ect...so jeans it is...and i prefer them to be well fitted because otherwise it feels like there falling down...

modest...not realy...
but comfortable...and nooens looking at me anyway...

style 2, is rare its my "im showing off" look and is typically form fitted on top and flattering on bottom...its much like style #1 but with sparklies or details on the top lol.

style #3 is what i would wear 24/7 if i could get away with it...
and that would be
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/FoxyLaRouge/Renfaire Foxy/2007/DSC02882.jpg
and
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/FoxyLaRouge/Renfaire Foxy/2006/suck.jpg

i spend most of my summer working as a pirate at local rennesance faires, and when im not working im attending for fun...
and quite honeslty i feel most comfortable in a GOOD bodice, a pair of bloomers with a lifted of split skirt and a comfy chemise
usually combined with my hat, ghillie mocs, a tankard, more pouches than i care to count most days, my own dinner ware, and my guild pins...

am i the only professional pirate on the forum :p
the sad part is, when im at faire in full garb my ocd, anxieties and agoraphobia wash away with the imagined ocean breeze.

then again when your surrounded by your best frineds, sexy men in kilts and frozen chocolate covered fruits with potential freudian feelings...like this
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/FoxyLaRouge/photos with others/frozenbannana.jpg

its HARD to be self consious...LOL...

and all at the same time i have a great deal of respect for those who feel comfortable dressing modestly, more so people who are HAPPY and comfortable in themselves to wear what THEY feel comfortable in.

within reason of course...mirrors were invented and should be used...if you are 300lbs please dont squeeze yourself into a size 4 string bikini, for all us fat chicks in the world there needs to be limits...
and if you want to dress modestly, that doesnt mean dowdy... :)
I'll let you in on a little secret ;) Bike shorts! Just about every "fulltime" skirt wearer has a set of cute fitted shorts. And for winter, I like 3/4 to full length leggings

Latest posts