Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"The older I get the more naked I want to be,....."
that needs printed on a t-shirt. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I really am not drawn to "plain dress" but do try to be modest. I love wearing dresses and skirts when working around the house, farm, garden. The best dress I had that I worked in for a couple of years was a short sleeved denim dress that was loosely fitted on the top, no snug waist (more skimming) and a flared, full skirt. It buttoned from top to bottom.

I got some jumper patterns and have been planning on making a couple of jumpers in similar style that I can wear with a tshirt or tank in warmer weather and a long sleeved t in cooler weather. There is nothing more comfortable to me than having nothing restricting my waist or my movement.

For work I wear loose-fitting jeans in khaki with a bit of spandex for movement but all spring, summer, and fall I wear those gauzy skirts with the drawstring waist that are "one size fits most" and are often floral or India prints and often tiered. It has been my signature for so many years that people gift them to me....clients go to the Jersey shore and pick them up for me, friends see one on clearance or at a tag sale, etc. I am constantly looking for feminine and modest tshirts to wear with each one. I love them because most of them go right to the ankle and do not restrict movement in the least. I've started putting new drawstrings in them, and I insert a small section of elastic in the middle of the string where it will never show, just to give a little comfort without having my skirt pulled off if someone steps on it on a stairway or something!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Typically I am a jeans or sweatpants, shorts in season, t-shirted, sweat shirted, thermals and crocs sort of gal... however ... we always dress for the Renaissance festival in our area and I am a season ticket holder! I think I could be quiet comfortable in traditional attire of the times. The older I get the more naked I want to be :ep :woot and those baggy shirts and long un-constructed skirts and simple head gear are almost like being naked ... just under my clothes! :bun :bun :bun
I sooooo agree! I generally dislike clothing anyway. I can't wait for DD to move out and I can grow a big tall hedgerow up front and be freeeeeeeeeee :weee :weee :lol: :lol:

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
But plain dress doesn't have to mean dowdy!
Perhaps not, but examples I have seen always look dowdy to me. I suppose there may be a way to make plain dress high fashion, but I don't see the point, I guess. I like flashy, shiny things, the way a monkey does.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Henrietta23 said:
Perhaps not, but examples I have seen always look dowdy to me. I suppose there may be a way to make plain dress high fashion, but I don't see the point, I guess. I like flashy, shiny things, the way a monkey does.
:D
For some it is part of their religion, so for them, that is the point. For me, the point is simply what I feel comfortable in, which is NOT what is typically marketed toward women these days!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Goodness, a lot of what is marketed to women these days is what hookers wore not that long ago! :rolleyes:

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
chickenone said:
Henrietta23 said:
For some it is part of their religion, so for them, that is the point. For me, the point is simply what I feel comfortable in, which is NOT what is typically marketed toward women these days!
the beauty part is, we are all free to express ourselves through fashion however we see fit. We each have our own style that we feel comfortable in. I live in an area with a lot of Amish and Mennonites and I would feel very uncomfortable dressing that way. I am sure they feel the same way about me.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
chickenone said:
Henrietta23 said:
Generally, the point behind plain dress, is seperation.
Dowdy can and does happen out of an over zealous laziness, if that makes any sense :lol: