Plain Dress

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
There is a group just north of here, not sure their religion exactly. The women all wear long skirts and modest shirts. Their hair is always up in a bun. Those seem to loosely be the parameters. They always look nice. And comfortable. :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have always been very interested in plain dress. I love jumpers! I also cover when I have serious praying to do:) But I don't cover or wear plain everyday. I would LOVE to but I am really not one who wants to stand out as different in a crowd. I have great respect for those who do though. I do dress modestly most times, but in a sweatsuit kind of way.
I have to say though that I have been very convicted to become plain all the way around and cover full time. I'm just afraid of what everyone would think. I have to find a way to be plain but at the same time not eveidently plain, and the covering i will keep to prayer times

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Paula when yousay "separation" you mean the distinction between men and woman?? correct?

Cown, what does a cape dress look like?

I was looking around last night after we spoke on this topic. I found some interesting things.

http://www.mormontrek.net/Pack/PDF/Women.pdf

After reading the above PDF it makes a mention to the inches of fabric. "they cut as wide as dress skirts (120-150)" Do you think they mean they used 3 to 4 yards of fabric per skirt?

:idunno

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think she means wordly separation. To be distinctly not of the world and worldly fashion. At least that is how I know plain dress to be.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
why would you want to be not of the world? Do you not like people?

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It looks sort of like thishttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVuV21Yxvq5AOhzFVqqY7WUYwCK7QMtoThFqVU_1FsHq2zKnNF only the front looks like a vest. I'd take a pic but hubs has the camera today. It's also longer. I like my skirts and dresses to be ankle length. Just something that I like because it feels extra girly and fun. :)

I'm not Paula but I'll answer your question for myself.
I wear skirts for a number of reasons.

1. Because the Lord gave me a conviction about wearing skirts/dresses, dressing modestly etc.
2. Because I LOVE it! I love how feminine I feel, how I get treated like a lady more by others. I love everything about wearing skirts. :)
3. Because I want people to know I am a Christian. (separation type 1)
4. Because I want people to know I am a woman, and not a man. (seperation type 2)
5. (but not the least in importance!) Because my husband loves seeing me in skirts and dresses.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont' think anyone would mistake me for a man even if were wearing pants. :lol:

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenone said:
why would you want to be not of the world? Do you not like people?
Of the world is a term that Christians use to distinguish between Christian and non-Christian. Anyone who is not a Christian is "the world".

The reason why we don't want to be "of the world" is because the Bible commands us to be separate. There is to be a difference between those who call Christ their Saviour and those who do not. Sadly most Christians today look, talk, dress, listen to, and watch everything the world does. 70% (my guesstimation) of those who claim the name of Christ today can only be distinguished from the "world" by what they say when you ask them if they are a Christian.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenone said:
I dont' think anyone would mistake me for a man even if were wearing pants. :lol:
Most women today wear pants that show every curve and every line of their body. I consider that to be immodest because it causes men to lust after our bodies. In order to wear pants and be "modest" you would have wear really baggy pants, which would not be a very good way of distinguishing between sexes.