Planning a Octoberfest Party

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stink at planning stuff like this... Could use your thoughts/direction

Things I know I'll need.
Invitations
Music (German Authentic)
Salty fresh baked soft pretzels (German Authentic)
Sizzling sausage dish(es) (German Authentic)
Beer Mugs
Ice-cold Octoberfest brews
Tables
Plates
Napkins
Tableware
White and blue checked table cloths
Seating
Bonfire (optional maybe)

Optional:
lederhosen for guys
Dirndl for gals

What am I missing?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is this for adults only? If there will be kids, consider adding brewed root beer to the menu. Also, some sort of dessert, like plum kuchen or fruit pies might be appreciated.
Also, pickles and sauerkraut?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will not be accused to adding to your honey-do list! :lol:

I have been talking about making a wood fired outdoor oven for years, DH finally mentioned to me that when we build our patio, he wants to build a wood fired pizza oven. :lol::celebrate

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wenches to serve the beer, lol?

Sounds like a fun time coming up!

:Lol

2259.gif

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dunno….stop the moisture - stop the rust? Kinda hard to do in a freezer I'd think...

Yeah not sure what I'm going to do yet... I used "the works" from dollar general in the past. It does a pretty good job of converting rust to black oxide, so it can he painted over. It may be thick enough to cling on the vertical sides of the freezer long enough to convert the rust spots.
theworks_toilet_cleaner.jpg

I finally got around to inspecting and cleaning the 3 corny kegs my son gave me. Geeze he didn't clean them from the last fill. they still had a little bit of beer in the bottoms and still pressurized with CO2 gas. I pulled the pressure release and yep they were pressurized alright. One of the kegs needs new seals, the other two look like the seals were replaced recently. I ordered 5 sets of seals to have some extras on hand since they are so cheap $2.00 for all the seals for one keg. I then totally tore down, all three kegs drip tubes and all. Washed all the parts twice with easy clean. The insides and all the parts are sparkling clean now, ready to be sanitized and filled with beer.

I also figured out how to use a corny keg as a primary/secondary fermenter. All I need to do is remove either the in or out posts and it's associated drip tube. Then I can clamp a 1/2 inside diameter food grade hose to the fitting and run that to a bucket of sanitizer. Quick easy cheap blow off tube and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Like new :) the works, wipe clean with acetone soaked rag, then a coat of oil based primer, then oil based paint.

It's about time to fill up those kegs with some Oktoberfest homebrew, so they will be ready come the end of September. I also bought some root beer extract, that I'll keg for the kids to drink, non-alcoholic with co2 gas of course.
IMG_20190531_175637736.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After 5 days of diacetyl rest, I racked both Oktoberfests, it helps to have 3 korny kegs when your racking 2 kegs :). I set my keezer to 50 degrees and will drop the temperature 3 - 5 degrees every day until 35 degrees is reached. Then I'll hold 35 for several weeks to lager. Then it will have to be racking again with primer dry malt extract to carbonate before its drinkable.

I sampled both Oktoberfests and I have a feeling both will turn out tasty.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After 6 weeks lagering @ 35 degrees. My son in law and and I racked both Oktoberfest's into corny kegs along with priming sugar. We sampled both and I'm very happy with the taste of both. They tasted great warm and flat.

Now I'm going to let them sit at room temp sealed up in the kegs to carbonate until a week or so before Oktoberfest party time, then I'll chill them to about 35 degrees again to get ready for Oktoberfest party time.

Since both Oktoberfest brews turned out, it looks like my plans for a Oktoberfest party is starting to take shape. :)

note to self... Go with like 1/4 the amount of hops recommended and you'll get a good tasting beer.