Planning a Octoberfest Party

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stink at planning stuff like this... Could use your thoughts/direction

Things I know I'll need.
Invitations
Music (German Authentic)
Salty fresh baked soft pretzels (German Authentic)
Sizzling sausage dish(es) (German Authentic)
Beer Mugs
Ice-cold Octoberfest brews
Tables
Plates
Napkins
Tableware
White and blue checked table cloths
Seating
Bonfire (optional maybe)

Optional:
lederhosen for guys
Dirndl for gals

What am I missing?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is this for adults only? If there will be kids, consider adding brewed root beer to the menu. Also, some sort of dessert, like plum kuchen or fruit pies might be appreciated.
Also, pickles and sauerkraut?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wenches to serve the beer, lol?

Sounds like a fun time coming up!

:Lol

2259.gif

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2nd oldest son gave me 3 5 gallon corny kegs, now I just need to brew up 15 gallons of high octane Oktoberfest. All three kegs just fit in the freezer :)

I'm having a heck of a time stopping rust on the freezer walls. This is a older freezer the inside is steel. I've primed with oil based primer and painted with rustolemn but rust still come back through in places. Any ideas how to stop the rust?
IMG_20190525_121518.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dunno….stop the moisture - stop the rust? Kinda hard to do in a freezer I'd think...

Yeah not sure what I'm going to do yet... I used "the works" from dollar general in the past. It does a pretty good job of converting rust to black oxide, so it can he painted over. It may be thick enough to cling on the vertical sides of the freezer long enough to convert the rust spots.
theworks_toilet_cleaner.jpg

I finally got around to inspecting and cleaning the 3 corny kegs my son gave me. Geeze he didn't clean them from the last fill. they still had a little bit of beer in the bottoms and still pressurized with CO2 gas. I pulled the pressure release and yep they were pressurized alright. One of the kegs needs new seals, the other two look like the seals were replaced recently. I ordered 5 sets of seals to have some extras on hand since they are so cheap $2.00 for all the seals for one keg. I then totally tore down, all three kegs drip tubes and all. Washed all the parts twice with easy clean. The insides and all the parts are sparkling clean now, ready to be sanitized and filled with beer.

I also figured out how to use a corny keg as a primary/secondary fermenter. All I need to do is remove either the in or out posts and it's associated drip tube. Then I can clamp a 1/2 inside diameter food grade hose to the fitting and run that to a bucket of sanitizer. Quick easy cheap blow off tube and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You will need a CAMERA for the party. You KNOW we require pictures!!!:D

Are the kegs causing the rust? Or? If kegs, put them in a plastic bag before inserting in freezer. Probably just didn't get all rust off before the paining? It happens.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You will need a CAMERA for the party. You KNOW we require pictures!!!:D

Are the kegs causing the rust? Or? If kegs, put them in a plastic bag before inserting in freezer. Probably just didn't get all rust off before the paining? It happens.

Kegs are stainless steel and rubber. The freezer is steel, which is rusting. Good idea about plastic bags. I wonder if I couldn't fit and glue some thin plastic laminate to the walls of the freezer. Its only rusting where the refrigerate coils are behind the steel.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used my cordless drill and a brass wheel to grind away as much of the rust from all of the spots as I could. The rust spots are mainly concentrated where the refrigerant tubes are located.
IMG_20190529_142215805.jpg

I'm going to run to the dollar store and pick some "the works" and hopefully they have some white oil based primer. I already have a can of white rustolemn top coat.

Last edited: