Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am waiting for a call back from the nurse to try to screen my little one and I. We have both been pretty sick and I do not know when I can send her back to school. :barnie

She had the fever Fri & Sat...went away by Sun AM....went to school on Monday, where she was promply sent to the nurse for excessive coughing. Now I read that you are contagious well after the fever and until the cough goes away...whcih could be another week!

I just want to sort out, do we have it or not. Fomo what I have read we fit the symptoms. :th

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
I am waiting for a call back from the nurse to try to screen my little one and I. We have both been pretty sick and I do not know when I can send her back to school. :barnie

She had the fever Fri & Sat...went away by Sun AM....went to school on Monday, where she was promply sent to the nurse for excessive coughing. Now I read that you are contagious well after the fever and until the cough goes away...whcih could be another week!

I just want to sort out, do we have it or not. Fomo what I have read we fit the symptoms. :th
Oh, I'm sorry you guys aren't feeling well. Please update us if get screened. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that everything goes well.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok she called. What a worthless phone call, and to think I was hoping to get some answers :th

Basically she said they are still going by the rule that children should go back to school 24 hours after their fever has subsided BUT yes they are still contagious during the coughing period. She did not believe me that my child has fluid in her lungs (as do I) and told me that I was mistaking it for her sinuses.....uh, no.

Whatever. Bottom line is we are sick, and contagious...no idea what we have but S T A Y B A C K :sick

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you guys are sick Dace. We are just coming out the other end of it also, but the cough sure does linger for a while. I don't think we had fever though, at least not high fever, but it knocks you off your feet pretty good.

Telenurses are not a reliable source of medical advice. My daughter and I had an experience a few weeks ago to prove that. Go with your gut Dace.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Since this flu is not showing to be very dangerous I would just prefer to get it and exercise my immune system.
I absolutely love the way you think!
:thumbsup

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ok she called. What a worthless phone call, and to think I was hoping to get some answers :th

Basically she said they are still going by the rule that children should go back to school 24 hours after their fever has subsided BUT yes they are still contagious during the coughing period. She did not believe me that my child has fluid in her lungs (as do I) and told me that I was mistaking it for her sinuses.....uh, no.

Whatever. Bottom line is we are sick, and contagious...no idea what we have but S T A Y B A C K :sick
Huh?? If that is the thinking I am certainly glad I don't have any kids in school. No fever, but coughing and contagious, but the doctor (or at least the nurse) says no problem, of course they can go back to school! :th Well, of course; we wouldn't want mom or dad to have to miss any more work, would we?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Dace said:

Huh?? If that is the thinking I am certainly glad I don't have any kids in school. No fever, but coughing and contagious, but the doctor (or at least the nurse) says no problem, of course they can go back to school! :th Well, of course; we wouldn't want mom or dad to have to miss any more work, would we?
No kidding...let's just send all the little sickies back to school ASAP so everyone can get on with life. But you know what? The longer I keep her out the more I am looked at as a weirdo. :barnie

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My ds 9 came home from school today with a cough and fever. He'll stay home tomorrow. He barely even ate supper with is really unusual for him. I guess we'll be making an appt. Apparently someone sent their sickie to school for mine to get it. Hopefully it won't be all of us with it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I get a weekly CDC update and thought this one was good to share.

The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 11 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 10 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1, and one was influenza A virus, but unsubtyped. Since April 2009, there have been 86 confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths; 39 of these have been reported to CDC since August 30, 2009.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My co-worker was diagnosed with H1N1 just yesterday. I am puny as well.

Her doctor told her she MUST stay home for a minimum of 3 days after all fever is gone and she is no longer on any meds.

Latest posts