Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
This weeks CDC update:

International Situation Update

This situation report provides an update of the international situation as of July 28, 2009. As of July 27, WHO regions have reported 134,503 laboratory-confirmed cases of novel influenza A (H1N1) and 816 deaths. The lab-confirmed cases represent an underestimation of total cases in the world as many countries have shifted to strategies of clinical confirmation and prioritization of laboratory testing for only persons with severe illness and/or high risk conditions. Currently, the novel influenza A (H1N1) virus is the dominant influenza virus in circulation in New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Influenza viruses currently being detected in England and Canada are almost exclusively novel Influenza A (H1N1). Following a seasonal influenza season that was dominated by influenza A (H3N2) virus circulation, South Africa is now detecting novel influenza A (H1N1) through its routine surveillance system. However, currently influenza A (H3N2) remains the dominant virus in circulation in South Africa. Many seasonal influenza viruses from these countries have not been subtyped. Of those that have been subtyped in Australia, South Africa, and Argentina, the majority are influenza A (H3N2) viruses.

Vaccination Recommendations
With the new H1N1 virus continuing to cause illness, hospitalizations and deaths in the US during the normally flu-free summer months and some uncertainty and about what the upcoming flu season might bring, CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has taken an important step in preparations for a voluntary novel H1N1 vaccination effort to counter a possibly severe upcoming flu season. On July 29, ACIP met to consider who should receive novel H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I read that article, Hiedi, and I thought it was interesting that she said to get into the habit of not touching your face. That's a hard one, but I think important, as there are times when you cannot wash your hands right away after possibly picking up some bugs from somewhere/someone.

Reaction score
Ever had somebody want to shake your hand after they sneezed in it?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article on immunity....
http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com...-ones-talking-about-building-natural-immunity

Natural Immunity

Fortunately, we do not have to sit back and listen to the news about swine flu feeling helpless and anxious. We can be proactive by simply nourishing ourselves and our families.

Vitamins A and D in cod liver oil offer strong protection against infection of all types, as well as against environmental toxins.

Vitamin C is important-either from vitamin C-rich foods like sauerkraut, or from one of the natural vitamin C supplements recommended in our Shopping Guide.

Healthy gut flora provide 85 percent of our protection against disease. Be sure to consume healthy lacto-fermented foods and beverages every day and avoid the foods that disrupt gut flora, especially refined carbohydrates.

Bone broth plays a double role of supporting the immune system and helping the body detoxify.

Coconut Oil

We are grateful to Beth Beisel, registered dietitian and WAPF member for reminding us about the protective factors in coconut oil. Swine flu is a lipid coated virus, and thus is inactivated by sufficient amounts of monolaurin. (Our bodies convert lauric acid, found in coconut oil, to monolaurin).

According to our own Dr. Mary Enig, two to three tablespoons of coconut oil per day appears to be an adequate dosage to fight infection, even from virulent antibiotic-resistant organisms such as MSRA.

There are lots of ways to get coconut oil into the diet: stir coconut oil in some tea; make macaroons; replace some of the butter in baking with coconut oil; and use it in cooking/sauteing. Marys oil blend (see below) is a good way to incorporate coconut oil in cooking and salad dressings.

Marys Oil Blend

1/3 melted coconut oil
1/3 sesame oil - expeller pressed
1/3 100% olive oil

Combine oils, store in a tight container, in an area free from sunlight, and use in cooking or on salads.

Coconut Smoothie

Beth has shared this great smoothie recipe with us.

1 banana
1 cup frozen mango
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate/blueberry juice
1/2 cup natural yogurt or kefir, preferably homemade from raw milk
1/2 can coconut milk

Whirl in blender and drink to your health!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Healthy gut flora provide 85 percent of our protection against disease. Be sure to consume healthy lacto-fermented foods and beverages every day and avoid the foods that disrupt gut flora, especially refined carbohydrates.
Well I'm safe now. I have plenty of lacto-fermented foods now :D

I had no idea my salsa would be medicinal!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:woot

That is one of the reasons I want to start fermenting.....just not sure how to get my kids to eat whatever I ferment!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't know that about coconut oil and the flu virus.

The best way I've found to take coconut oil is raw by the spoonful.

Love it!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Is it me, or does it seem like the Coconut Products Manufacturing Board has simply hired the same p.r. folks that have recently done such wonderful jobs for the pomegranate industry, the raspberry and blueberry growers of north america, the walnut marketing board, etc etc?

:p

Not saying coconut oil doesn't probably have its virtues, as does practically any other plant or animal product you can name... but, you know.

Pat