Plant markers out of beer cans NEW PHOTO...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just made about 15 plant markers out of some tall boy beer cans and wire hangers. I needed to mark my garden with something that will stand up to the rain we usually get. (I didn't want to spend a dime ether.) My garden is getting wooley and I am forgetting where I planted seeds.

Here is how: (Use safety glasses and leather gloves.)
I just cut open the cans and flattened them. I just used a scissors. Then I cut the flattened can into about 3 (big) or 5 (small) rectangles.

I labled each tin marker with a sharpie.

Then I poked two holes into the marker one at the top and one at the bottom with a large needle.

Cut and unbend wire hangers with a wire cutter. I made one hanger into 4 marker posts.

Poke the hanger into the marker at the bottom front and then out of the top back hole.

If you guys want pictures I will post later when the "good computer" isn't @ work. :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That sounds really neat. And pics would be nice especially if they are pics of the markers in the garden.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome!
I had this bright idea to cover the seed packets with packing tape. Kind of like laminate so they would resist the rain. Well, the floods came and my idea was a flop. I guess I didn't seal the edges quite well.

Your idea sounds much more permanent. You can even store those from year to year, if you wanted. Cool

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried to laminate seed packs, but they always leaked!

You can remove sharpie marks with fingernail polish remover and re-label them year to year, crop to crop.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I did what I usually do....used pieces of a mini-blind, cut into 6" pieces and one cut at an angle to poke into the ground. Marked with a sharpie.

Went to finish planting the back garden and went to review what was already in....no organized map this year.....and all the sharpie lettering had washed away! Completely!!!! Never happened before, and yes, I am sure I used a sharpie!

:barnie

havi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The best way Ive found to mark plants is to use plastic knives. On the side I write(with a sharpie) the name of the plant then stick it into the ground. Works great. I saw this in a magazine once. Every now and then I have to go buy a bag of plastic knives, around $.99, when I cant get enough from other places. I use the ones they give you at the drive thurs or other places.

But I would really like to see a picture if you have any.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I did what I usually do....used pieces of a mini-blind, cut into 6" pieces and one cut at an angle to poke into the ground. Marked with a sharpie.

Went to finish planting the back garden and went to review what was already in....no organized map this year.....and all the sharpie lettering had washed away! Completely!!!! Never happened before, and yes, I am sure I used a sharpie!

:barnie
How frustrating! Try roughing up the surface a bit. Might help. :hu
Here they are just finished..
912_garden_markers_001.jpg

In the garden...
912_garden_markers_004.jpg

Plastic knives, I would have never thought of that! I didn't have any on hand anyway.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I am envious of your thriving carrots!! I can't get mine to grow. Nice beer can labels! Now I just need someone here that drink beer enough to make them!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you,

Those carrots are ready to be yanked, but my big sister is coming this weekend and I want to show off my thriving garden, not holes!

:)

Latest posts