Plant markers out of beer cans NEW PHOTO...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My problem is that the sharpie fades so fast, within a week I have no clue what I put where. I need something that will stand up to high altitude UV light :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My problem is that the sharpie fades so fast, within a week I have no clue what I put where. I need something that will stand up to high altitude UV light :p
I hope I don't run into that problem, but I thought about a grease pensil (like the coffee shops use) or paint marker too. I think if you use a bit of sandpaper and rough up the surface you shouldn't have a problem.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Problem solved!

Those coke/beer cans are very thin, like heavy duty alum foil. With my new markers I made this morning I simply traced the plant's name into the tin. Then I "pin pricked" holes all along those tracings. Now they look like those pie cooling cupbords with tin doors that have designs made out of nail holes.

I'll post photos in a bit..way cooler now!! My 12 year old is going to LOVE this project!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh yeah!! Like the country type cabinet doors & decorative stuff. I like it! Cheap, easy & semi-permanent, plus you recycled them!
I've got a big bag full of cans I was planning to use to make a solar collector. I could spare a few to do this though. And I hate hanging my clothes on the metal hangers, now I can get them out of my closet without throwing them away.

You're so smart BBH! :thumbsup

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow Cool Idea BBH I love the idea of the pie safe tin look idea
pics would be great :clap

hmmmmm I have an idea forming in my head :/ hmmm :rolleyes: I must think on this and get back with you after I get home and see what I might do hhmmmm

:thumbsup thanks for the food for thought. hmmm :caf

:frow Karan :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Love the can lables. You all are so smart. Plastic knives, metal cans etc. I just used the biggest rocks I could find and a sharpie.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you!

This says "chives". I cut the can with pinking shears and folded the edges down. This one took all of 5 minutes to make

912_garden_markers_036.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL, where are you growing the bud light?

Those look good. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove the permanent marker ink too, it isn't quite as toxic as fingernail polish remover.

I have found that the sun can bleach away the marker ink too.

Latest posts