Plastic bags . .what do you do?

MyGardenHelper

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wash them and hang them on an empty wine bottle. I wish I could get away from using them in the produce section. Any ideas?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well i have gotten away from using plastic bags for freezing stuff...I bought a HUGE roll of freezer paper the other day for quilting...and I will never use it all for quilting...but I have enough to wrap a lifetime supply of meat!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MyGardenHelper said:
I wash them and hang them on an empty wine bottle. I wish I could get away from using them in the produce section. Any ideas?
re-use onion bags!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
MyGardenHelper said:
:welcome

Yes, I just skip them in the produce section, unless I have something somewhat messy like broccoli. Otherwise, everything gets put in the cart, then bagged, and then goes directly to my fruit bowl or crisper when I get home. It just kind of dawned on me one day that things didn't actually HAVE to be bagged :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Me, too, until today, when I carefully opened a bag of grapefruits, and thought I would save the bag for something....then this post made me think to put it with my cloth grocery bags for things like loose green beans, broccoli, etc. A bunch of little colorful bags made from cloth remnants would work great, too, maybe with velcro so I could open them for the cashier to see what is in them. But not too heavy, as they weigh the bag with the produce, so the lighter the better....worth a couple more pennies, though, not to be contributing to the plastic problem any more than necessary.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Me, too, until today, when I carefully opened a bag of grapefruits, and thought I would save the bag for something....then this post made me think to put it with my cloth grocery bags for things like loose green beans, broccoli, etc. A bunch of little colorful bags made from cloth remnants would work great, too, maybe with velcro so I could open them for the cashier to see what is in them. But not too heavy, as they weigh the bag with the produce, so the lighter the better....worth a couple more pennies, though, not to be contributing to the plastic problem any more than necessary.
That's a great idea! Maybe old, very thin tank tops sewn shut at the bottom, leaving the shoulder straps for handles?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My tank tops are recycled into my underwear drawer for winter layers and are far too worn out for anything but rags by the time I'm done with 'em!! But great idea, I might look for some at tag sales, etc, that wouldn't fit me but would make great bags!

MyGardenHelper

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'll do that too! I can just put the produce in my canvas bags and then unload them at the counter. They can just go right back into the canvas.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All of you are so creative! I have so many great ideas from this post. I love this site :love

I love the old tank top idea for produce. I think I will use my daughters undershirts when she out grows them.