Plastic coffee cans and bleach bottles

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope I am not duplicating threads... I have many one pound Folgers coffee cans and gallon bleach bottles. I use the milk jugs as mini green houses, but the coffee cans and bleach bottles are not clear. Anyone have ideas to use these jugs and cans? I hate tossing them, but the collection is getting a bit much now and it's either use them or find someone who can. Happy week end everybody:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Do you make your own laundry detergent? If you did, empty bleach bottles would be a handy way to store it up, maybe even share some with friends, etc. Those bleach bottles are pretty sturdy and they would certainly be nice and sterile!

As far as the coffee cans go, I don't have an idea but they sure seem to come in handy sometimes, I wouldn't throw them away, you might find a use for them later.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use them as heat sinks. Fill with water and place along the outside edges of a hoop house. If it is wide, also place a row down the middle. I kept cabbage alive all winter using those and a plastic sheet over a small garden bed.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Why don't you just recycle them as in put in the recycle bin with your trash? to me, keeping them with no use for them is just clutter. :hu

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Coffee cans are used for storing nails, screws, nuts, bolts and the like.
My dad actually built slanting shelf units, with a wooden grid on each shelf that the cans sit in, so they do not slide off.
The slant allows for easy access to the items.

Plastic coffee cans, that have the handle built in, make nice grain scoops.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
They make great containers for container gardening herbs. Just poke some holes for drainage. I am growing garlic in a bunch f old bottles and stuff this year.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I make big batches of homemade dog chow and ladle it into plastic coffee cannisters then freeze. When it's thawed and in the frig, everyone knows it's not people food or coffee.
We have several around the place for old nails, screws or other small metal pieces. We don't use a trash service, so everything gets recycled.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I use the plastic coffee cans as grain/seed containers for the chickens. I keep the bulk of the animal feed down in the barn with the horses, and I keep a trash can of these coffee cans inside the coop for doling out food for the chickies. I keep about 3 cans each of layer pellets, cracked corn, oats, and sunflower seeds so I don't have to keep running down to the barn in the morning to feed the girls. Every once in awhile one gets chewed by chipmonks if I leave it out waiting to refill it and I recycle it and replace it with a new one. I also keep horse treats in them- horse cookies and peppermints.

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. Many great ideas. I will be making my own detergent now. Also, going to utilize the cans for growing. They will work great on the green house shelves. I made it sound like I was swimming in cans and jugs. I have 4 cans and 3 jugs- not so much that it is pack ratty clutter.:lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I use my Maxwell house coffee cans for feed scoops, I keep lidded ones for storing feed in when we go to places like swaps. I've even used one for an egg collection basket.

I love my coffee can scoops!