Plastic coffee cans and bleach bottles

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I use my Maxwell house coffee cans for feed scoops, I keep lidded ones for storing feed in when we go to places like swaps. I've even used one for an egg collection basket.

I love my coffee can scoops!
I was going to suggest this, as this is what we do with ours. :thumbsup

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I plan to sink one into the ground next to the fruit tree's that I will be planting this fall to fill with water to slowly seep out to the roots.

I also use them for feed scoops, feeders, storage nuts & bolts ect. You can also use them for some twine type rope by cutting a hole in the top & placing the rope inside to feed out of the hole.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
An "expert" on Emergency Preparedness told me that bleach bottles are one of the few plastic bottles that you can save water in, for your SHTF supplies. He said the plastic is different, stronger. And if it is plain chlorine bleach, the residue would be considered "safe." I do know that gallon water jugs from the store will develop leaks after a year or two, just sitting. I am in the New Madrid Fault area, and our power goes out everytime the wind blows, so I should be more prepared that I am.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The coffee cans make great paint containers. The ones with the handles work great. Fill with your paint and easy to hold onto as you move around the room. I also use them to store paint when the gallon starts to get funky. I discovered this when we had a leak right over the paint shelf and the paint cans got rusty, etc. I just write the brand and color information on two sides (incase one gets paint dripped on it). They seal great and are easy to open.

dtinnan

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We use the coffee containers for paint storage, and for scooping dog food. also if we take our dogs with us on a trip they are great for taking the dog food with us.

they are great in a kayak for bailing water.

they are also great for keeping my grandsons small toys in. he also likes to play with the smaller ones in the bathtub.

when we went to the okeefenokee swamp for an overnight trip, we were required to bring a portable toilet, i put a walmart bag filled with some odor absorbing cat litter in the coffee can, and with the lid on it, you have an odor free backwoods toilet.

when i go camping we will cook the meat sauce for spaghetti in advance, freeze it in coffee cans, and then less ice is needed in the cooler.

you can fill them with water, place them in your freezer, and have emergency water, as well as extra cold time in the event of a power failure.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
bleach bottle tops...slice the tops off...this can be used as a funell bottom now is a planter bown...store in the freezer anything you can dream up...
sorry don't use plastic cans...
however save all your big cans...plant with them...slugs can't climb metal...

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
so lucky said:
An "expert" on Emergency Preparedness told me that bleach bottles are one of the few plastic bottles that you can save water in, for your SHTF supplies. He said the plastic is different, stronger. And if it is plain chlorine bleach, the residue would be considered "safe." I do know that gallon water jugs from the store will develop leaks after a year or two, just sitting. I am in the New Madrid Fault area, and our power goes out everytime the wind blows, so I should be more prepared that I am.
I agree. Just make sure the bleach is the plain Jane unscented chlorine bleach.

Latest posts