Plastic coffee cans and bleach bottles

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I have a temporary rabbit population explosion I use similar containers (not bleach but coffee would work) for both feed and water. Or when I have to lock up more broodies than I planned, or a rooster. Being springtime I think I have about a half-dozen such containers in use. I also use them for storing, growing, and have used for feed scoops. You could always offer on Freecycle or Craigslist.

I wish I had a few dozen more. I'm getting low around here. I don't have trash service either, but I dont buy much in containers like that. They started saving them for me at work though. They throw EVERYTHING away there, and caught me taking stuff out of the trash to use.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I use coffee cans for feed scoops they are handy or egg buckets.

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I use them as heat sinks. Fill with water and place along the outside edges of a hoop house. If it is wide, also place a row down the middle. I kept cabbage alive all winter using those and a plastic sheet over a small garden bed.
Awesome idea!

zippitydooda

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just read on another thread that a guy was recycling his gatorade bottles by filling them with flour and sugar and putting them in the freezer to eliminate bugs getting in his stored product. Could you do that with the coffee containters?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the only problem I could see with that is if there was still some coffee odor in the containers, it might add an off flavor to the food

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't had a coffee odor in the cannisters after running them though the dishwasher or a sink of soapy water....that I've noticed, anyway. Most of the time, this nose is just here to hold up my glasses, though. :/

CalicoFarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I cut the top off the bleach bottle (can be used for a funnel) then cut the bottom off (use that for a saucer for a potted plant) then cut the center into about half inch strips and use for plant markers. I usually get about 30 markers per bottle.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Our neighbor saves them for us and they make great canisters. I wash the coffee containers then use them to hold dried beans. After a while, the scent is gone. I store pasta or whatever once the beans are used up.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I haven't had a coffee odor in the cannisters after running them though the dishwasher or a sink of soapy water....that I've noticed, anyway. Most of the time, this nose is just here to hold up my glasses, though. :/
If your sense of smell is weak, you might want to get your zinc levels checked.

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
valmom said:
I use the plastic coffee cans as grain/seed containers for the chickens. I keep the bulk of the animal feed down in the barn with the horses, and I keep a trash can of these coffee cans inside the coop for doling out food for the chickies. I keep about 3 cans each of layer pellets, cracked corn, oats, and sunflower seeds so I don't have to keep running down to the barn in the morning to feed the girls. Every once in awhile one gets chewed by chipmonks if I leave it out waiting to refill it and I recycle it and replace it with a new one. I also keep horse treats in them- horse cookies and peppermints.
I pre-mix some grit, black oil sunflower seeds and cracked corn in a plastic sugar can (same size as the coffee cans) and keep it by the door for quick treats for the chickens. That way I can still keep the larger bags of each sealed and in the metal garbage can, but don't have to grab a handful of each in the morning when I rushing to let them out before work.

Latest posts