"plastic" feed bags

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO uses them for target practise, especially the ones with pics of animals on them ;)
I use them as knee pads to protect my clothing.
I put them in the garden as mulch to keep weeds down and moisture in, just don't leave them out too long, they disintegrate into nasty little bits of plastic.
We store sunflower seed heads in them to dry.
We cover our millet and broomcorn with them once they are dry to protect them from the birds
We use them as frost protection for tender plants
We use them as bags for stuff we sell or give away
I have some in the car, in case I need a clean surface to sit on, eat off, a bag or whatever.
My friend bring over the sweeping from his haybarn for our chickens.

I transport chickens and cats in pillow cases. I like the idea of using feed bags for the chickens, due to the poop factor :lol:
Most of my cats have been much calmer about the car ride and vet visit, when transported in a pillow case!

ilovetodig

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I turned mine into reusable shopping totes--I don't have many, but really didn't find them too difficult to sew. I just turned them inside out, sewed across the bottom, then across the bottom corners to make a base, cut the top off 2 inches above where I wanted it to be, turned it down and stitched it. I made handles (2-inch folded to 1-inch) as long as I wanted them and attached them to the top. It takes maybe 45 minutes. I have used them for months now and haven't had any problems. I get compliments on them nearly every time I carry them. They are strong and sturdy and stand up in the back of my SUV rather than letting my groceries roll all over the place. I also cut pieces of cardboard to fit the bottom and these can be covered to match the bag, but I didn't go to that much trouble. They make cute gift bags, too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used them to make shopping bags a couple of times. And unlike the previous post the sewing of the woven fabric killed my old sewing machine. Not sure if it was ready to go on it's own but the bag finished it off. My sil kinda solved the issue by creating a "no sew" bag. They rolled the top and put in a couple of Grommets. Then used rope for handles. turned out pretty good.

gina

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I've made bags, too. (had them posted on here a couple years ago). I hand sewed them at first, using the string they were closed with. That was a pain. This year I'm going to steal the rope/grommet idea and use my old sewing machine to do them. I'll use them for shopping bags, and any extra will either be sold at Farmer's Market or used for gift bags. (If I have anyones address, look out! haha!)

you can also use them to put "sloppy" trash in before putting it in the can, or even empty your vacuum into them. They are very versitile and everyone here has a different, yet extremely useful take on them.... good luck! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember when you sewed those bags with the original strings. I thought you were some crazy lady. I bought rope from Lowe's a couple days ago. We can compare bags when we get them done. ;)

gina

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been using mine as tarps. I just roll a bit of the sides together, then clip. I'm sure that you could sew them this way, I'm just lazy.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some feed stores will reuse if you get custom grain or have them grind and mix for you. I see bunches of these sold at our local livestock auction.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Sounds good TH.....I've only got 3 bags at the moment, and between the quilt, a reenactment dress, and those bags, my sewing machine will be working over time! :weee <----me running around like a crazy woman with too many projects

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Gary said:
I have several chicken feed bags that are made of a woven plastic like substance. Does anyone have suggestions for ways to use them. I already put a lot of our trash out in them but I'm looking for other creative ideas.
You had better not to use any sort of plastic bag, All the plastic bags are playing vital role in making the environment pollution instead you can use bag made out of jute.

images

images

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
One more use for the feed bags. I use them in the winter for wind blocks for my rabbits. I also use them in the inside of my chicken coop for extra insulation. For the rabbits I zip tie them to the the cage. This keeps the wind and rain off. Then in the summer I just take them down so they get all the fresh air and summer breezes. For the chicken coop, I staple them to the walls to keep out drafts. Spring time, just rip them down.
I plan to use them for my home grown fertlizer as well. I have a pile (well, more than one pile) by my garden. When I clean out the chicken coop and under the rabbit cage I just dump it all in one spot. Next cleaning gets a new spot. I think after it ages for 6 months or so it should be save to bag up.