"plastic" feed bags

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dinesh said:
Gary said:
I have several chicken feed bags that are made of a woven plastic like substance. Does anyone have suggestions for ways to use them. I already put a lot of our trash out in them but I'm looking for other creative ideas.
You had better not to use any sort of plastic bag, All the plastic bags are playing vital role in making the environment pollution instead you can use bag made out of jute.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...ts/2007/10/10/01.01.230_plain_odd_handles.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...es.wordpress.com/2009/04/natural_jute_bag.jpg
I think the idea here is to recycle the bags that our feed comes in. By re-purposing the bags into something useful we are in turn keeping them out of the landfill and doing the environment a favor. Now if feed came in jute bags that would be a great thing. But unfortunately it does not.

So many of us here compare ways to reuse these very sturdy multi purpose bags.

gina

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The feed company closest to me now uses the photo breakdown type plastic, so reusing them is not a good idea. They will last long enough to get the trash to the curb, but if you use them in sunlight they disintegrate. I gather this is so that they are not a problem, but I wonder, if they get to the land fill and covered up, what good is that? They would not be exposed to sunlight.

Maybe they also brake down other ways, I'm not sure.

I buy the paper bag feed and I open the bags up to flat and put them in the garden. They control weeds, allow water in and compost. Once I have a good layer I stockpile them for fall, we till in the old ones, plant fall rye maybe, when frost kills it we beat it flat and put all the bags over top or we might just put the chicken bedding compost on. Winter adds snow, packs nice, spring comes we cut holes to insert bedding plants or cut lines to place seed, more bags to fill in gaps or damage from planting, cycle continues.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I put dirt in mine, poked some drain holes and I have them in a wood frame. I just put sweet potato slips in them :D

Gary

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. I can't complain about getting enough ideas! lol. My wife is looking at making some shopping bags and weed blocking is definitly in the future. Thanks again

Gary

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last year I made these designer impostor bags with mine:
101_2945.JPG

This year I used them in my Tomato Frame.. an old swing set frame used as the trellis for my tomato gardens. I just filled them and set them on a shelves made of pallets.. they have Jelly Bean tomatoes in them that I hope to train along the top of the swing frame.
tomatoAframe-b.jpg

Hope that helps!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Dawn, I LOVE your idea for the tomato planters, that is awesome!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I filled some with sand and duct-taped shut to make bases for when my son and his friends play softball.