Plowing with pigs....and worm farming?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh many a slopped hog are out there...big time..LOL

it is just telling an untruth when asked what they were fed if someone straight out asks ya......but other than that, it is fair game to feed them whatever and send them to sale.

I don't know any processors who finish them off before slaughter with feeding cause here it is not allowed. My processor is not allowed to keep hogs overnight. They arrive on Wednesday, the inspector is there the whole day to watch the kill on that day only, then they are hung and processed for Thursday. At least that is NC rules.

NOW---I don't ever want to make waves about my farmer competition....but another 2 farm gals sell meat and they sell ALOT of it EACH week....they say they are hand raised. They sell the equivalent of at least 2 processed hogs per week....hmm...but they have about 20 hogs on the farm only....small ones they raise.

Do the math people. 20 hogs---can you stretch that to 2 per week eaten and do it for a year straight. I think not...LOL...they are buying hogs from the sale and lying about it. A few customers went to their farm on tour day and wondered about if a farm has 20 hogs how can they process 2 a week for an entire 12 months of sales.....don't add up. they got wise...most customers don't care either..HA HA...or it flies right by them....but it is not my business.....it is their business and they run it the way they want. But eventually all that untruth comes back to slap ya in the face..LOL

but that is what happens out there in farmer market land....alot of the time!

vendors buy veggies from SC and bring them up here and re-sell and swear they grew it yet when the Agriculture agent goes to inspect the farm...hmm..they live in a townhouse..HA HA HA...oh yea, they eventually get outted cause once you sell at our markets, someone will visit the farm to verify you are truly growing it.....I guess the don't know that part.

oh well,,,,rambling cause I can..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BK
there is so much pathetic stuff that happens at farmers markets you wouldn't believe it...LOL...sad really..HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Been there! Seen it all. That's why I couldn't believe someone would suggest that I am "unethical"!!! Never been accused of that before.... ;) Matter of fact, most folks find me brutally honest...and hope they don't find me! :lol: :D

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Karen,
I was at a farmers market this summer and I started talking to a guy who was selling eggs.
I was trying to get a feel of the market since I am thinking of setting up there myself.
He advertised them as his own fresh eggs and hung up pictures of his chickens.
I asked him how many he had and he said 15, I started telling him about my chickens and we went back and forth with it, then he complained about how bad they were laying and told me he was lucky if he got 4 or 5 eggs a day.
I asked him if he sold there every week, as it seemed like alot of people knew him by name and I saw several people buy eggs from him.
He said yeah I sell a a couple of dozen 12 packs a week here every week.
I then asked him how he was doing that if he is only getting 4-5 eggs per day.
He starts laughing and elbows his buddy next to him and says I get a little help from -and he named a supermarket in town.
So this guy is going to the supermarket and buying eggs for $2.39 a dozen and selling them for $4.00 a dozen and telling people they are his own fresh, natural, local eggs.
I was so ticked off and he thought it was hilarious.
I am still p**ed about it!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
So this guy is going to the supermarket and buying eggs for $2.39 a dozen and selling them for $4.00 a dozen and telling people they are his own fresh, natural, local eggs.
I was so ticked off and he thought it was hilarious.
I am still p**ed about it!
OHHHH that ticks me off. I guess if you want to be sure of what you are getting you have to visit the farm first hand.

Too bad for the honest people who are doing business at the farmers market.

Of course when I've sold eggs sometimes customers are not very understanding that I don't have an unlimited supply of eggs. But I sell of of my front porch, not the farmers market.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thats good for your customers though to know exactly where the eggs are coming from and the fact that you don't have an unlimited supply proves it for you.
I couldn't believe he actually admitted to doing something like that either, he was so brazen.
I stormed off and its bothered me ever since.
Especially since some of the markets will only allow one vendor, unless that vendor cannot meet the demand then they allow someone else to sell the same thing.
One farmer's market I talked to told me that they have one person there that sells eggs but they always run out within 2 hours so there would be no problem having a second vendor there selling eggs.
So he gets around that at the other market by having an endless supply of store bought eggs and no competition for him.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh simple
I hear you. I would definitely have asked who is the Market Manager or Agri agent that handles that market. If a true state run market you can get him ousted.

Yes I would be pi*ssed too definitely! You are a smart customer, you do the math...so many don't.

UGH--the ugliness of it all. It drives me crazy!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I was wondering who handles the markets. I saw a woman who apparently was a manager of some type I think, because there was some incident over someone's dogs attacking eachother there and she ended up in the thick of the owner's arguments so I assumed it was her.
But since things were really heated at that point and I was so mad I left and never went back.
I do want to go there and find out if he is there this spring and I am going to confront him and tell the manager.
He is keeping other people from having a table there, people who actually have real local eggs by pulling this c##p.
Its his mentality though, because he also told me that he has 5 goats and the town he lives in.
My sister lives in that same town and I said , really I didn't think they let you keep goats there, they gave you a permit for 5 goats?
He said, they don't know I never applied for anything.
That above the law mentality just spills over into every aspect of some people's lives.