Plowing with pigs....and worm farming?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, that's how they operate. They check for appropriate documentation for certain immunizations, weigh your animal, fill out a paper for receipt of animal, etc. You can either stay and watch it auction or go home....you may get a call if they don't sell that day...highly unlikely for hogs to not sell.

Yeah, its not really considered an ethics issue in the country and its pretty accepted, unless you're a serious breeder, that a backyard pig is going to receive some slop with his feed. This is why some people HAVE pigs, to put food scraps in one end and receive manure and bacon out the other end. Its an age-old concept and, until recent years, was considered standard pig-raising procedure. Some people are trying to get away from grain feeding all together by having sufficient graze, mangle and other root crops for pigs.

If you've never been to a livestock auction, this should definitely be one of your trips this spring, as well as a trip to the processors...just to get an idea of how things are conducted. The auctions are amusing, sometimes heartbreaking and downright interesting!

Still not understanding your aversion to slop. I know it sounds like a nasty thing but its composed of anything that isn't grains. It could be left over milk from butter making, to scraps from making your salad. It could be what is left on the tray when your child is done eating at school. Why is this repugnant to you as a food source for pigs? Is it just the taste quality of your meat that concerns you and you feel cheated at the thought that you haven't eaten a completely grainfed hog? If you couldn't detect a taste difference and later found out that pig had consumed some slop, would that change your ethics? Or do you feel that I am in some way trying to deceive the general public by supplementing grain with slop? Still not understanding why this is a morality issue.... :hu

Is it because you have been eating pork for a while now and it just came to your notice that they might have not all been grainfed and this makes you angry?

Trying to understand why this would be a morals issue with you. I don't know if you were raised in the city or not in close proximity with livestock and the raising of such, but its pretty standard operating procedure here in the country and not considered a morals issue. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea, anyone who never went to their local sale barn should...just for the trip. Not even if you are going to buy any animals...but it sure is an experience!

I have to tag my goats with scrapies tags in their ears before going, or they charge me $2 per ear to put it in theirselves, nope can't afford to do that so I do it before they load the trailer.

You get nailed with commission and pay a small charge for insurance purposes. In the end selling to a person from your barn is more money, but a pain in the butt waiting on them and time etc. and maybe they need delivery etc. etc.

the sale barn is fastest and easiest way to go!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that pigs eat slop...just like my chickens do:>) I don't think it changes the taste of the eggs...the people who buy them love them:>)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Still not understanding your aversion to slop.
Please readmy posts. I do NOT have an aversion to slop. I do NOT find it repugnant.

I have said numerous times that I will slop my pigs.

What I have an aversion to --is to sell a pig that has been slopped without informing whoever is buying said pig--that it has been slopped. I say this simply because a slopped pig tastes DIFFERENT than a grain fed pig. I did not say better or worse tasting--just different. And if a person doesn't know why that pig tastes different--they will question the meat.

If it is common for sale barns to sell whatever--then, I said-- more power to you. I was not aware of how sale barns operated.

My goodness, you asked if anyone had ideas or input, and I responded. Maybe I should just withhold from responding unless I am in total agreement.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Now I have to read this thread in detail to find out more about pigs or else someone will need to start a pig raising thread with pros and cons of "slop", fields, and pig chow.

The main reason I posted though was to mention that Michael Pollan was on NPR this morning. He visited Salatin's farm and wrote about it in The Omnivore's Delimma.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone else ever tried this and have any ideas or input about how this turned out?
miss thenorth, if you care to read the OP, the question is clear.....I never asked for any input about anything other than if anyone had tried it and how it turned out for them....no input on the morality of the situation at all.

Of course, you are free to have any input you may and to disagree with a post...this is a public forum, after all. But I did only ASK with a qualifier as written above. The unspoken half of that would be ....if you HAD NOT had any experience with this type of event~plowing with a pig~ that you were not necessarily being polled for any input. :)

But, please! Feel free to criticize all you want! This is America and I'm all for free speech! ;) :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed, I honestly think that you jumped on the defense simply because I said the meat would taste different.

I never really anticipated that this would turn into the disagreement that it has. I am truly sorry if you were offended by any of my comments. but in all honesty I could do without your sarcasm.

I think I need to take a break away from here. Thanks for that and Merry Christmas to all of you.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pigs can eat grain, slop, pasture... IMO I think a pasture pig is the nicest :) Either way it doesn't matter, I don't eat a lot of pork and we don't eat pig bacon we eat turkey bacon. Regardless, I can't tell the difference between them aside from the pasture pig being a bit richer in taste.

I think it's a really cool idea anyway, we were considering it but our vegetable patch (or field..?) is too close to the well, and that'd be kind of sketchy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah! Your soil would filter any runoff before it got clear down to your well! :)

I agree with you on pasture raised anything....just taste better all around! I have no idea how a pig is supposed to taste, its been many years since I tasted one, except for the stray piece of bacon over the years. You really can't taste the meat when its cured, though. Last time I just ate regular pork, not a piece of ham or bacon, has been since 1990!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee
why are you not eating pork?

just wondering.....I eat the hound out of it...LOL