Plowing with pigs....and worm farming?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've recently been reading a lot of Joel Salatin books and was intrigued by his notion of using pigs to plow up and fertilize ground.

Here's a small article in Mother EN:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2005-12-01/Plow-With-Pigs.aspx

I never really thought about having pigs as we generally do not eat pork much and don't intend to start. BUT...the thought of maybe turning a profit~ while getting manure and my ground softened, tilled and fertilized~ is looking more attractive.

Joel uses electric fencing to place pigs where he needs them most, so I plan to do the same thing. I removed the sides to my raised beds because I found them restrictive and I didn't have enough soil to do them right. I still plan to have permanent beds and pathways on the majority of my garden.

I have already started inquiring at the local Senior Centers and will ask at the schools and nursing home about obtaining food scraps from their kitchens. If I could haul enough each day to feed my two tillers, I could conceivably get by on a pretty small feed bill for them.

I already have electric fencing materials except the solar powered charger but they only cost $100 and I need one anyway this year.

This is one of the ideas I have this year for my small homestead. Anyone else ever tried this and have any ideas or input about how this turned out? I plan to sell the pigs at market size and, if it is a successful venture, repeat the practice each year.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's a great idea. I would love to have some pigs to do my tilling this year.:cool: I think it could work and just think of the adventures you could have given this is your first time trying this. Let us know how it works out. Also love the idea of selling them at market price, nice.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will try to submit pics! With dial up that is always a laborious notion.

I already have a pig trough that was here when I came. Like it was meant to be.... :) We had pigs when I was growing up, so I know how quickly they can turn a pen into a chopped up, richly black-soiled area!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pigs
ugh
my only concern is will a few lines of electric hold them in....they want out, they are doing it. and we all know how hard it is to round up an ornery hog..LOL

Now don't get me wrong...I am sure it will work for you...but me, having so many hogs and such, wow, I would never take the chance on an electric fence to keep the peace for me.

I guess I sound chicken to try hogs in electric fencing..LOL-LOL---well just rambling...can't wait to hear about the adventure.

If anyone can do it --it sure is you! :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a solar electric fencer, the 10 mile range for our horse field in the front. They can't keep sheep in LOL that's for sure, and we only use it as a second measure for the horse fencing, they don't pack enough of a punch to be effective alone.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind, Lupin. As for the electric fencing for hogs, if Joel Salatin can pull it off, so can I! :p I have a perimeter fence if I should have an escape and, fortunately, I know how to catch pigs efficiently....this involves food and a casual stroll to the trough! :lol:

One day I watched my dad and brothers exhaust themselves fully chasing our pig to get her back in the pen. Then I walked into the pen with a slop bucket and yelled, "Suuuuuu-ey!" and she couldn't come fast enough. May not work for all pigs, so time will tell! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is the truth bee
food brings 'em almost every time!
when my 2 horses got out, show that bucket and pony came running...lol...thenPeepers always followed pony so there ya go!
:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I would not have understood this idea at all except for having seen my friend's potbelly pig completely uproot lawn looking for grubs or some other tasty treat. Unbelievable! It just dug its snout in and went ripping away. Sounds like an awesome idea!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes if I had a farm I would definitely be using pigs to plow my garden spaces out. I to have read alot about this. At one point I considered renting a pig for a week just for that purpose:>)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The only problem I can see with your scenario is if you are only going to feed the pigs leftovers, it will seriously affect the taste of the meat. I have eaten pork from a pig who was slopped, with a bit of grain supplement, and it doesn't taste the same. My concern is that if you planned on selling it, you might have dissatisfied customers b/c of the taste of the meat.

I didn't mind it, as we are hunters and have an open mind about meat flavours, but others might not be so inclined.

I do plan on getting pigs myself, but they will also be for personal consumption. Just omething for you to consider.

I can't wait until you go to see Joel Salatins set up and tell us EVERYTHING!!!!!