Politicians look to separate Chicago from Illinois to create 51st state

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe that this is one of the problems with our nation - all the power is in the big cities and that is what the laws are formed for. We need to let the local governments have the power to govern their own areas. Laws for urban areas don't necessarily make much sense for rural areas and vice versa.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe a better place to put political and religious threads would be on individual's blogs. I have to say that I was glad when I came back after all these years to see that the religious areas were no longer listed. This forum is for self sufficient folks and although all of it might eventually tie together, it isn't the focus of the group.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my experience, this is a much friendlier place to express an opinion. The people who have been posting are respectful to each other and accept that others can have a differing viewpoint than their own.

There are alot of subjects discussed on this forum that I have no interest in. Therefore, I do not go to those threads. It is not hard to avoid topics you do not wish to participate in.

Politics and political views are somewhat tied to the self-sufficient lifestyle as they are the reasons some people decide to become self-sufficient.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Politics and political views are somewhat tied to the self-sufficient lifestyle as they are the reasons some people decide to become self-sufficient.

Boy did you hit that nail on the head and drove it home with one BIG blow.

Politics are the number 1 reason I moved from NC to a country homestead in southern IL.

Long story short... When a small town of less than 300 makes the decision to come on to your personal property and render your well inoperable, hook you up to city water that was so horrible we had to buy bottled water to drink. And charges you a monthly water fee you think about moving.

When the same town decides to make owning livestock (including horses and chickens) a crime. You start coming to the conclusion that your should seriously consider moving.

But when the same town makes it a crime to run your sawmill in town and then shortly after the mayor calls you up after a big storm to clean up windfalls blocking the streets, you say to yourself - what a bunch of f-ing hippocrates and you move fast, the faster the better.

There's more to this story but I won't bore you with it.

Like one example... I had to actually go to the town hall pay $5.00 and get a "burn permit" with the mayors signature to even cook out on my BBQ grill. I tell you one thing... Never again will I live under a democrat rule again.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are 2 Maines also. The wealthy area south of our state's capitol: Augusta. And the northern part of the state. Southern area is more populated, thus has much more political pull, leaving the "northern rural areas out of the loop."

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the other hand, every vote counts. Including those that you don't agree with.

Sure would be nice if this was ONE place I could come to that was not discussing politics. Just sayin'....