Politicians look to separate Chicago from Illinois to create 51st state

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oregon is the same way. The east side of the state gets no say in laws.

Like the one that says cougars can't be killed even if they are threatening people in town. But oh they make an exception if it's Portland or Eugene and the cougar is just eating pets not stalking people.

I think the city governement of Heppner just looked the other way and let that cougar disappear a few years ago.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe a better place to put political and religious threads would be on individual's blogs. I have to say that I was glad when I came back after all these years to see that the religious areas were no longer listed. This forum is for self sufficient folks and although all of it might eventually tie together, it isn't the focus of the group.

I respect you greatly for speaking up. Yes what you say is true but just as every vote counts so does every individual count who is negatively impacted by the decisions of a few dimwitted self proclaimed elitists. Hope you see the other side of the coin here.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also agree. I LIKE to hear other opinions. Many will not match my own views. But, that's what sparks healthy conversation in mature adults. I can choose not to participate in some topics that I find to be too controversial for me. Some of those hot buttons will get my dander up and leave me boiling under the collar. I can dabble on the edges of a conversation, choose not to even read it, or jump in feet first.

I left an other forum b/c of the heavy handed censorship. Any disagreement with the PC agenda was heavily censored, even to the point of providing plenty of unsafe and dangerous advice from newbies which was not allowed to be challenged. The newbie got his first ever flock of chickens, and is suddenly an expert at all things farming. Dispensing plenty of unsafe advice, even advice which could cause personal injury to any one foolish enough to follow his recommendations. Often, advice is passed along ad nauseum b/c they heard the same or read it in a book somewhere.

I would hate to see SS go the way of censorship to prevent disagreement re: animal husbandry, land management, or life style. Politics and religion can be hot spots. But, I would hate to see such things censored here.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We DO. :) But politics and "religion" affect our daily lives just as much if not more than the weather, what we grow in the garden, or any other topics discussed. I don't have goats. That doesn't mean I think people who own goats should go to a goat-only forum.
Politics, health, "religion", and many other topics are often the reason behind why a person is drawn to this kind of forum in the first place. We all come in to a public forum looking for other people to discuss things. Some people think the same way we do. Some have other opinions. No one is forced to read or discuss any topic, but people also should not be criticized if the view things differently. There would be very little discussion at all if we all had the exact same thoughts, ideas, backgrounds, and experiences.
If you don't like me mentioning the Lord Jesus, block my name and my posts won't come up in your feed. But if I have information that might help you on a problem you come to discuss, you will miss that input. :hu

I'm GLAD to see posts like this here. I don't get to otherwise hear what is going on in different parts of the country on issues like this.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm GLAD to see posts like this here. I don't get to otherwise hear what is going on in different parts of the country on issues like this.
Guess I'm the odd one out here - I get my news from competent news sources. And I listen to several sources so that I get both sides of the story.

I have never said the name Jesus Christ is offensive - but some folks surely are! Some of the most abrasive folks I've ever had the displeasure of knowing tend to justify their negative actions in the name of Jesus Christ. I can only believe that He is completely ashamed that some people invoke His name to get away with being jerks.

Some of the best people I know - people who are kind, compassionate and giving don't all go to church every Sunday. And by the same token, some of the kindest people I know - do. These are the folks who aren't judgmental, or abrasive but give of themselves in kindness at every opportunity. They don't wear their religion as a symbol of what a great person they are - they don't have to. They embody it in their everyday life.

For those of you who ARE offensive - please don't blame it on the Lord!