Pond Foundation Advice?

ByFaithFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I’ve often read the story about the farmer who created a watertight bottom for his pond by feeding his sheep in that location, until the ground “sealed” up and held water.

We are wanting to create a smallish natural pond for our ducks. I’d like it to be fed by rain that comes off our barn roof and require no pump. I’ve read various articles about making ponds, but most start with a plastic liner, which I’d like to avoid, if possible.

I know there is a delicate balance between pond plants and bacteria, and I’d like to figure that out, as well!

So tell me all the stuff about natural ponds, especially creating a watertight floor.

Thanks!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can try using clay as a sealant layer in the bottom of your pond. It can get expensive for a large pond, but a smallish pond may not be too pricey.
Here is a web-page I found showing how to use their product: bentonite clay

( you will have to copy the text and paste it to your search bar) oops, I guess it worked. Never mind the copy-paste

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't tell you about how to make the pond, but I can tell you that: Barley straw is reported to help clear the algae out of a pond. Depending on the size of the pond, you also might want to put in a bio filter. You could make a series of filters out of 5 gal buckets, or even use a 55 gal barrel, and a heavy duty pump. If you created a cascade of filtered water returning to the pond, you would also have a good aeration going, which will further help to improve your water quality. If I did a filter system, I'd incorporate some hydroponics into the mix!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at putting in a windmill aeration in mine. It's about 2 acres give or take. Aeration is needed to address algae bloom, weed control and water clarity. It works on the same principle as aeration septic system. Naturally occurring bacteria address decay. The higher the oxygen content of your water the healthier the bacteria will be. You can also add good bacteria to your pond, but if the oxygen is low it won't do as well.

If you are going to build a pond. I would suggest bentointe clay followed by rock and sand. Also don't forget to add some fingerling flathead and channel catfish to address water snakes including the poison kind. Try and keep bluegill out of the pond as the will take over a small pond.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with FEM, always read pigs will seal an area. Dig some, add pigs and a little water, they seem to know how to work it.

Also don't forget to add some fingerling flathead and channel catfish to address water snakes including the poison kind.

Thanks. never knew this but.......like the hint. I don't have a pond now.