Pork prices to soar

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby told me yesterday that news said shortage would be in Europe. Then today they saying it's going be here.. Drats I like my bacon and eggs. a couple times a week. Guess I'll have to pick up a few extra packs to have in freezer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH has friends that hog hunt. It is the National Past Time of East Texas. :lol: I asked him to ask friends to bring me 2 wild hogs, quartered in ice chest. I want to make sausage and pack the freezer. :drool

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
Icu4dzs said:
My two are going to "Freezer Camp" soon. I already paid for them with feed and work! Feed is $11/bag and I've used about 20 bags already.
Feeding them twice a day cramps your style if you are employed away from home though. No vacations either.
Trim sends
//BT//
Wish I had your feed prices. Wheat is 17.50 bag and peas are 15.00 and going up plus getting harder to find as well. I have 8 pigs in the freezers for sale, and 2 litters expected end of Oct. Its worrying me to keep the next lot over the winter with the cost of feed, and hay for bedding is even more dear. No one wants piglets in the fall, so its catch 22.
We always buy ours in the fall. Summer is to hot and the cooler temps keep the flys and smell away.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoy fall hogs also. It's a lot easier to give them shelter from the cold than from the heat where I am. The poor pigs really suffer in the summer. Now I wish I had bought a m/f pair of piglets so I could grow my own, but for now the two barrows will provide a lot of meat. Maybe breeders are in my future.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm my two son's go wild hog hunting at their dad's farm in Purdon, Texas. Chet my 23 year old has mentioned in the past that he has someone make sausage with it.. I'll have to ask him fro some to try and also see if he gets any bacon from it too.. I wonder how wild hog tastes. not sure if they make sure of the whole hog or just the back strap..

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our local grocery store just had a four day pork sale. It seems like pork prices are better than beef prices here.

I really considered raising a pig or two for pork...but I'm afraid in the end I'd have a couple 600 pound pets, one named Kevin Bacon and the other Pork Chop.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pork is on sale now, so buy it now. $1.38/lb for roast, which I can handle. The bacon is the ridiculous part, at $10/3lbs. I'm hoping that the hams go on a good discount for the holidays, so I can grab up a bunch of that. Other than that, I really want some lard. What's left after cooking bacon is simply not enough for all of my cooking needs. One thing though, since I've never used straight up lard, does it taste like bacon lard, or is it rather bland?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wish it would be that cheap around here! Normally the cheapest I see it for is $1.99/lb for the whole loin. I try to buy it when I see it for chops and/or roast.