Potato chip cravings.. Alternatives?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pickles, pickles, pickles (I love the tiny sweet ones, but dill is better for you, especially if you have an issue with sugar).

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i love salt and vinegar chips and i will eat them till my tongue is numb

my alternative is find the freshest cucumeber skin it up and slice into pretty thick slices

mix vinegar and salt in a bowl and dump your sliced cukes in to heavenly juices and you can either eat right away or let sit in the fridge for about 10 min

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As a replacement for chips, it is fine--healthier and cheaper in the long run.
It's not about going low carb. It is about recognizing the reality of what you are eating. It's just science. Air popped pop corn is sugar in disguise. If you know that and treat it accordingly, no problem. If you eat it thinking it is a health food without realizing it will effect your blood sugar, insulin levels and can easily make you hungrier and cause you to eat more, it's a problem.

4oz of air popped popcorn = 88.3g carbohydrates
4oz of potato chips = 56.4g
4oz of fat free potato chips = 95g
4oz of jicama = 10g
4oz pickles = 2.9g

(Keep in mind that every 50g of carbohydrate is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm just saying, If I want to eat a spoonful of sugar, I will. However, I find it much more enjoyable to eat a bowl of popcorn or whaterver, and since I have no problem with carbs, as alot of people don't, we don't really need to be reminded every time that eating popcorn or chips, or bread or potatoes or what have you, that it is just like eating sugar, b/c well, it's not. Eating sugar is like eating sugar. Eating popcorn is like eating popcorn. And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a bagel. and no, I'll be eating a bagel--not a spoonful or two or three of sugar.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Air popped popcorn is a good choice.
Not really. It is mostly carbs. It's like eating sugar.
but it's still ten times better than oil popped popcorn. not everyone is interested in low carb, just something healthier and cheaper to eat than potato chips, which are notoriously bad for you. i don't feel hungrier after eating air popped popcorn. i make a small bowl and thats that, end of. sugar is not the only thing to think about.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
So you don't like that carbohydrates convert to glucose when they digest? Or just me pointing it out?