Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
OVEN BAKED POTATO CHIPS

3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
4 med. potatoes

Wash and dry potatoes and slice very thin. Combine butter, onion and salt. Arrange potatoes in 9x13 inch greased pan. Brush with butter mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown. Serves about 4 people.
I just tried this and burned them into black circles. I sliced them fairly thin with a mandoline and did as instructed, the butter and minced onions were gonna make them good I thought as I applied it with a clean paint brush.

After 5 minutes they looked like they were cooking too fast and turned the heat down to 400* and changed the timer to 25 minutes. In the meantime I had left over slices that didn't fit and thought to throw them on my electric pancake griddle in a single layer over a modicum of melted butter, once brown I flipped them once and in 10 minutes they were crispy throughout. They had a thin film of butter on them yet so put into a large bowl and sprinkled with garlic powder and small amount of salt, they were quite good - checked the oven ones with 10 minutes to go and the dogs turned their noses up to them. pure starch charcoal.

Are these much healthier than store bought?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, butter is much better for you than corn, soy or canola oil....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
big brown horse said:
OVEN BAKED POTATO CHIPS

3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
4 med. potatoes

Wash and dry potatoes and slice very thin. Combine butter, onion and salt. Arrange potatoes in 9x13 inch greased pan. Brush with butter mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown. Serves about 4 people.
I just tried this and burned them into black circles. I sliced them fairly thin with a mandoline and did as instructed, the butter and minced onions were gonna make them good I thought as I applied it with a clean paint brush.

After 5 minutes they looked like they were cooking too fast and turned the heat down to 400* and changed the timer to 25 minutes. In the meantime I had left over slices that didn't fit and thought to throw them on my electric pancake griddle in a single layer over a modicum of melted butter, once brown I flipped them once and in 10 minutes they were crispy throughout. They had a thin film of butter on them yet so put into a large bowl and sprinkled with garlic powder and small amount of salt, they were quite good - checked the oven ones with 10 minutes to go and the dogs turned their noses up to them. pure starch charcoal.

Are these much healthier than store bought?
Much healthier? I would say without a doubt, yes. The bagged potato chips are full of ingredients that I can't pronounce. Yours only have a few natural ingredients. Potatoes have potassium and magnesium. They may not be a good food for anyone trying to stay lean...

Ok. So your way looks like a better way than my way. :p Sorry that the others burned.

I wish I had a mandoline :(

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok. So your way looks like a better way than my way. :p Sorry that the others burned.

I wish I had a mandoline :(
I should of watched them the whole time since I saw them cooking too fast but got sidetracked putting the others on the griddle, also should of known better because my slices were about as thin as kettle chips.