Potato chip cravings.. Alternatives?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pretty sure popcorn is a complex carb and it has a decent amount of fiber.....

Kale is also good if you bake it to a crunch, maybe sprinkle a little parm on it. I only make what I will eat that day because day 2 it gets limp, even stored in an airtight container.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
no, that's not at all what I said. what I said was that it's not the only consideration AT ALL when talking about diet.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've found, and this is just me y'understan', when I have a craving I sort of analyze it to find out what it's about. A craving for potato chips would make me wonder if I'm getting enough potassium in my diet. Personally, I went to the doctor one time and he told me I was low on sodium-what? How does that even happen? But anyway, I'd look around and see what it is about the craving that you are needing.
When I was a vegetarian (that's stupid, I still haven't actually eaten any meat) I would get cravings for Braunsweiger (a liver sausage) so I knew that I was getting anemic again and needed some protein and/or iron. I'd hit the nuts, beans and spinach hard and I'd be fine in a day or so.
Right now, since I'm on a feeding tube and only allowed to ingest plain &^)$#@ water, I crave cheese in the worst way. As a dairy addict I'm pretty sure I know what that's about.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pretty sure popcorn is a complex carb and it has a decent amount of fiber
Of the 88.3g of carbohydrate in the popcorn, 16.4g of that is fiber.
I use www.Fitday.com to look up the nutrition data on different foods. It's a pretty handy website.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No popcorn isn't a complex carb. Since it's made from corn it does have a good amount of sugar in it, and eaten in excess over a long period of time it has a small impact on your glucose levels, but the be honest i think a lot of people have a lot more to worry about than the occasionaly bowl of popcorn.

something like beans would be a good snack food choice if you're eating it as a snack food several times a day every day. i can't say i know of anyone who would eat popcorn a couple times a day, every day. i personally don't crave a snack all the time.

my personal favourite snack food is cucumber sliced with balsamic vinegar, most of the time i eat it plain though. i'm pretty much a cucumber fiend lol. that and beans, i love beans fresh from the garden.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
my personal favourite snack food is cucumber sliced with balsamic vinegar,
Add some cubed mozzarella and cherry tomatoes to that some time. Delicious! :D I make that salad a lot in the summer when I can get fresh cukes.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I guess my views on diet are too simplistic.
Eat more carbs/fat/calories then your body can burn - you gain weight.

I tried making my own baked potato chips, results not so good.
Anyone know a good method?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
meriruka said:

Try this method:

OVEN BAKED POTATO CHIPS

3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
4 med. potatoes

Wash and dry potatoes and slice very thin. Combine butter, onion and salt. Arrange potatoes in 9x13 inch greased pan. Brush with butter mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown. Serves about 4 people.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
meriruka said:

Try this method:

OVEN BAKED POTATO CHIPS

3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
4 med. potatoes

Wash and dry potatoes and slice very thin. Combine butter, onion and salt. Arrange potatoes in 9x13 inch greased pan. Brush with butter mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown. Serves about 4 people.
You can also spray them if you have an oil mister and are worried about adding the butter (I LOVE butter though... lol ) and sprinkle with your favourite spice mix (popcorn seasonings work like chip flavours too). I use the taco mix that someone posted in the 'Gifts from a jar' thread.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Yeah, it is unfortunately not that simple...... :p All calories are not created equal. But that is a topic for a class! or two, or twelve!

I bought parsnips to try the chips tonight!

eta: Ooops, didn't read all the posts I'd missed, so didn't see that it was discussed already. My understanding of this thread was to find a healthy and cheap alternative to chips that is also crunchy.