PotterWatch's Burrow

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH Congratulations on your new goats! I am trying to learn all I can about milking myself, since I now have a goat I can milke :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Saw the kitchen pics. You must be so happy. You did an amazing transformation. Your SIL will love it also. Keep us updated on the goat pen and coop. I would love to see the pictures.

Do you happen to have a recipe for your hot dog and burger buns? That is something I would love to try.
thanks, g

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The kitchen is my favorite thing about the house now, whereas before, it was my least favorite room. I am very happy with how it's laid out, very easy to use.

I used two different recipes for my hotdog and hamburger buns just to see what I liked better. The hamburger bun recipe was very easy and is really tasty. I shaped mine the way they said to, but next time I make them, I will flatten the balls after I form them, to get a more traditional hamburger bun shape. I might also make 8 instead of 12, because the buns were pretty small, though flattening them might make them big enough around to stick with 12.

Hamburger Buns
2 Tbs active dry yeast
1 C plus 2Tbs warm water
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5mins. Add the egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5mins. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
Cover and let rest for 10mins. Bake at 425F for 8-12mins. or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

The hotdog one takes longer just because it has to rise and because shaping takes longer. I didn't follow their directions on how to shape, I just found it too confusing and difficult. I shaped mine using the heel of my hand to make each piece of dough into a rectangle, then rolling it up and pinching all the seams so that it looked like a fat cigar made of dough.

Hotdog Buns
1 Tbs sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water
1 C warm milk
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
3 - 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, combine sugar, yeast, and warm water. Stir to dissolve and let set until bubbly, about 5 mins. Add in milk, vegetable oil, and salt. While stirring, gradually add the flour until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-4 mins, until smooth and supple. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, approx. 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

Shaping:
Gently remove the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it slightly into a large rectangle. Divide dough into thrids and divide each piece into thirds again. Cover unworked dough with a clean dishtowel while shaping. Gently flatten dough into a long rectangle. fold left and right sides to meet in the center. Fold the top and bottom sides towards the center. Keep pinching the edges together, pulling th dough into a tight roll shape. Repeat until you have 9 rolls.

Place buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dishtowel. Let rise for 30 mins. Preheat oven to 400F. If desired, brush buns with egg wash. Bake for 20mins, remove to a rack to cool before slicing.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm gonna print those 2 recipies.

Can I go with you to go through the garbage pile. I love finding perfectly good stuff that's been thrown away. And the best part...it's free!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, we used both types of buns tonight and the hamburger buns were proclaimed delicious by all, the hotdog buns were decent, but a little too heavy for my taste. They were good, just not as soft as I like.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am heading down to San Diego today for work (I have a part-time evaluation gig that I do every once in a while). Since my goats are pretty much in the middle of two of my observation sites, I plan to stop in and see them. This time I am going to remember my camera and take pictures!!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just got back from San Diego. I got to see my girls, hurray!! The little one is still very skittish and I am hoping she will chill out when she gets here, but we are prepared to keep one of her or her mom's babies to replace her if she doesn't calm down. They are penned with the buck right now and the lady we are buying them from said that he has been doing his job with the little one, but not really interested in the mom because she is already pregnant by him. I'm hoping the little one will be bred by the time we pick them up next week (she has been in with the buck for a month now).

Here is the Mom, currently named Desertwinds Heart-to-Heart:
DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

This is the daughter who is currently nameless and the buck, Desertwinds Ace High:
DSCF0017-1.jpg

The daughter by herself:
DSCF0021-1.jpg

My husband built their enclosure while I was gone, so we only have a few more things to get and we will be all ready. Can't wait to go back next week and get them!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Love your goats. They are so cute. I know you are excited.

I can't wait to try your hot dog and hamburger buns.

And your remodel job is fantastic. I love your kitchen pics.

Latest posts