POTUS Impeachment Trials

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There were 3 Democrats that crossed party lines and voted NAY.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
To me... it seems like the house of representatives put the cart before the horse. The US Constitution Article II, Section 4 reads: The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I bold underlined "Conviction of" because there is an order to the text. Conviction first, impeachment next. As far as I know the POTUS has not been convicted of anything, just accused. Where is/are the conviction(s) of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors? There are none, and that's what makes me very concerned.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The House impeached him and now the Senate will decide if he should be convicted. It doesn't mean convicted in a court of law. That's the Senate's job now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"House leaders suggested a possible delay until they can get a guarantee of a fair trial in the Senate. "

Sounds to me like they are waiting until they can make sure the fix is in...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like the vote they just had was completely fair and non-biased.

Gotta wait until closer to the election - so it can have maximum impact for their side. If they had the proof they claim to have, the delay would not mean a thing.

I caught a tiny bit on TV after the vote, and I think it was one of the democrat's the voted NAY said something to the effect of - "Our forefathers and family members through history have sacrificed to protect the Constitution of this country, I cannot vote to weaken that great document".

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conviction first, impeachment next.
Nope.
"Impeachment is the process by which a legislative body levels charges against a government official. Impeachment does not in itself remove the official definitively from office; it is similar to an indictment in criminal law, and thus it is essentially the statement of charges against the official."

Impeachment just means the president has been CHARGED. It means he will likely go to "trial" in front of the Senate. Think of the Senate as the jury. He has not been convicted of anything at this point.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ugh, my high school government teacher must be rolling in his grave. I have given up and am avoiding all news media. One large newspaper staff tweeted a photo of their staff partying after the House vote. The paper deleted the tweet and claimed it was taken out of context. Smh

He was a staunch conservative while being a flamboyant gay man. He would of had us writing letters to Congress calling out the stupidity on both sides.