Predator control for native wildlife

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Feral cats are a huge problem. (One of the 10 worst invasive spe ies in the world.) Not much we can do about it in the US. DH and I do TNR (trap, neuter, release) if a cat shows up on our property. We have one barn cat - who is missing an eye so she can't hunt birds. Some of our country-neighbors feed outdoor cats so we see them everywhere. I wish we had better ways to manage feral cats.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Luckily we don't have the problem with mountain lions here like out in places like Ca where they have attacked humans... Of course, according to F&G we don't "have mountain lions in Va".... yeah right.... They would scare me because they are so stealthy... and can take down a horse so a human would be no match for them. Our black bears are mostly just a nuisance... tearing up bird feeders, getting into garbage and stuff...occasionally killing some animals; don't know of any attacks on humans although it is not impossible... I would be very concerned in grizzly country. They are much more volatile tempered so I have heard and read. And wolves, but I don't know that they have migrated this far south... and there is a red wolf that is supposed to be smaller and is critically endangered in NC but they are having to try to just keep the numbers status quo because they get on the road and get killed, or shot by hunters. They look alot like a coyote from a distance and I understand they have been interbreeding with them some also. I think that the off spring are mostly sterile so that is a dead end road. They are not a problem here.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbors have enough barn cats that I don't need one. I do still have mice. As long as they don't mess with my chickies I leave them be. I've caught the same one in a live trap several times a week once (several years ago). Coyotes and sometimes a bob cat (had a big problem with that cat) will come right in the yard and snatch a chicken. The last yote I shot was 25' from the chicken coop.
The cat learned that the dogs got feed inside after the chickens were let out. Had one roo swiped in the front yard off the side walk. I only seen it on camera.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’ve seen coyote tracks right up against the fence here. Dogs go barking crazy. If a coyote ever jumps in , the fight will be on.

Feral cats can be a problem. I call them coyote snacks. I’ve seen two here. They must be wise because they haven’t been eaten yet.

Coyote snacks 😄 😄 😄😄

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Luckily we don't have the problem with mountain lions here like out in places like Ca where they have attacked humans... Of course, according to F&G we don't "have mountain lions in Va".... yeah right.... They would scare me because they are so stealthy... and can take down a horse so a human would be no match for them. Our black bears are mostly just a nuisance... tearing up bird feeders, getting into garbage and stuff...occasionally killing some animals; don't know of any attacks on humans although it is not impossible... I would be very concerned in grizzly country. They are much more volatile tempered so I have heard and read. And wolves, but I don't know that they have migrated this far south... and there is a red wolf that is supposed to be smaller and is critically endangered in NC but they are having to try to just keep the numbers status quo because they get on the road and get killed, or shot by hunters. They look alot like a coyote from a distance and I understand they have been interbreeding with them some also. I think that the off spring are mostly sterile so that is a dead end road. They are not a problem here.
Actually, Black bears can be more dangerous than grizzlies. If a grizzly attacks a human, they mostly just mess you up some, but black bears will hunt you down to kill and eat. I knew someone in Alaska that told us about how a black bear stalked her neighbor for three days until it found a way inside the house and killed and ate him. The guy didn't believe in guns... might have saved his life.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coyotes are out tonight. They are howling, not real close, but closer than I like.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea , I cannot imagine anyone living in as remote and "wildlife friendly" a place as Alaska and not having at least one firearm for self protection.
I have not had any experience with grizzlies... and I don't doubt that any bear could be dangerous... and have heard of some animals to actually stalk their prey... but in this area a black bear is considered less dangerous than maybe they should be. They are nuisance animals here but there is plenty of food for them in the wild.... not saying an animal can't go rogue.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I knew someone in Alaska that told us about how a black bear stalked her neighbor for three days until it found a way inside the house and killed and ate him. The guy didn't believe in guns... might have saved his life.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a bit of twisted humor going on here… reminds me of the two neighbors that were arguing over the right to have guns. It became bitter and angry. The neighbor who had guns posted a sign in his yard stating that he had guns and shot robbers and thieves. BUT his neighbor didn’t have or believe in guns!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a bit of twisted humor going on here… reminds me of the two neighbors that were arguing over the right to have guns. It became bitter and angry. The neighbor who had guns posted a sign in his yard stating that he had guns and shot robbers and thieves. BUT his neighbor didn’t have or believe in guns!

that sign would be like begging to be taken out with a sling shot...