Predator control for native wildlife

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is about as large as a predator is in my country (NZ) I hate Feral cats with a passion due to how destructive they are, our native birdlife and reptiles are precious. I have started setting stoat traps as well. It has been a pretty bad year for feral cats. I have seen good numbers of ground birds though despite how badly their broods were knocked back in early spring by predation. My regular trapping and shooting must be working.

Attachments

• IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 94

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are lucky in that there are not that great a number of feral cats because the coyotes will keep that population in control here. I understand that they are a major problem where they were introduced and nothing to keep them in check.
Our coyotes have become a serious nuisance here in certain areas; they are smart and have learned to live within cities and suburban areas quietly and with stealth. They keep down the populations of rabbits, ground hogs, deer fawns; wild turkeys, and then go after the "domestic " animals because they are easy. Cats, small dogs, chickens, sheep, goats, small calves. There was a post where the one coyote went after a 2 yr old that the father had taken out of the car seat and set down on the ground when he went to get something out of the car on the other side, and grabbed the child by the seat which, luckily, was well padded by its' diaper... and tried dragging the child away screaming, and the father went after the coyote... In broad daylight in a subdivision......

They are as big a threat as anything since they have adapted so well to more suburban areas as well as out in the country. So, I guess they are equivalent to your feral cat population... except they are bigger and will attack much bigger prey.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have heard that Coyotes can be really sneaky and nasty. Bit of a worry when they get so bold that are attacking kids or peoples small lap dogs as well.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard that Coyotes can be really sneaky and nasty. Bit of a worry when they get so bold that are attacking kids or peoples small lap dogs as well.
I've heard 3 different packs howling and cackling at once here. I live in the county so sound travels far. I've had to scatter them multiple times because they get to close to the buildings. I never see them, because it's pitch dark, but I sure can hear them howling and cackling. A single shot from shot gun fired at the ground is all it takes to scatter them.

Note to self.. apparently they expose their whereabouts for sirens, probably hurts their ears.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen coyote tracks right up against the fence here. Dogs go barking crazy. If a coyote ever jumps in , the fight will be on.

Feral cats can be a problem. I call them coyote snacks. I’ve seen two here. They must be wise because they haven’t been eaten yet.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I’ve seen coyote tracks right up against the fence here. Dogs go barking crazy. If a coyote ever jumps in , the fight will be on.

Feral cats can be a problem. I call them coyote snacks. I’ve seen two here. They must be wise because they haven’t been eaten yet.

that's about the same here, any feral kitties that last longer than a few days are the smart ones. some of the semi-feral kitties may even be the neighbor's but i don't see collars on any of them. they wander through every few days looking for chipmunks, mice and whatever else they can catch. i don't shoot at them because they don't seem to be getting many birds (the hawks/eagles seem to get those).