Predator control for native wildlife

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The sign in my yard says "If you can read this you are in range". I'm not worried about David knocking me out.;)

the problem with that is it only applies to people who can read who aren't coming from the other directions... all the critters just think it's a wind block, a place to perch or scratch or some other obstacle or grouping of particles.

i often ponder what all these animals think of stuff we humans do and if it means anything to them differently than anything else they come across in their lives? i mean by that do we by all the strange stuff we do ever also actually elevate (we already know we devolute (not sure that's a word but hey it's morning)) some critter's awareness?

ok, time for breakfast and a shower. will give me something to ponder...

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i often ponder what all these animals think of stuff we humans do and if it means anything to them differently than anything else they come across in their lives?
Here, the starlings immediately take flight when I open the door. Robins, Northern Flickers and Downy Woodpeckers ignore it and continue with whatever they are doing.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here, the starlings immediately take flight when I open the door. Robins, Northern Flickers and Downy Woodpeckers ignore it and continue with whatever they are doing.

the grackles and i "converse" when i go outside and i try to discourage them from making nests and messes.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to have starlings here. The red winged blackbirds got aggressive with them after I put feeders out to keep birds out of the chicken pens. They fly off but not that far. The little finches, siskins, and warblers just stay out of the way and watch for me to put out food or clean up after the chickens when I put out scratch.

The ravens fly off when I open the door because of the dogs. They do fly circles over me and call out if they see me and are hungry as they know I'll put out a few eggs for them.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the grackles and i "converse" when i go outside and i try to discourage them from making nests and messes.
I tolerate the grackles because they drive off the starlings during nesting season. As soon as the little ones are ready they leave.

I have watched both grackles and red-wings kill and eat the brains of young house sparrows.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I tolerate the grackles because they drive off the starlings during nesting season. As soon as the little ones are ready they leave.

I have watched both grackles and red-wings kill and eat the brains of young house sparrows.
Interesting. Never saw that behavior, probably because on my grandparents' farm, we ripped out sparrow nests as soon as the eggs were laid. My old place didn't have anywhere for them to nest

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just when saying out loud. Say, I had to scare off some ________ insert annoying critter here.
We have annoying birds here that kill the pecan trees. I can't shoot them so scaring them off is all I can do, I also worry about them switching from tree sap to honey and destroying a hive.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just when saying out loud. Say, I had to scare off some ________ insert annoying critter here.
We have annoying birds here that kill the pecan trees. I can't shoot them so scaring them off is all I can do, I also worry about them switching from tree sap to honey and destroying a hive.
What the heck kind of birds kill pecan trees?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

yes, i try to discourage and scare off many critters here. sometimes they don't listen. :(

Latest posts