FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cows have their own special pain in the butt problems
:lol: :p :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
good news! the neighbor came over, gave our goatie a good once over, observed her behavior, and then declared that our little goatie friend is ok.

whew

she gave me some signs to look out for and told me to keep an eye on her. if tomorrow she is down or in distress to call the vet but otherwise, based on her body condition... our little pal is in the clear (for now). she wasnt showing any signs of impending labor and also that her udder would be much bigger than it is now.

the other good news is the swelling over her eye has gone down at least 50%.

so i'm VERY relieved.

these goaties - they keep you on your toes! we're gonna get everyone bedded down early tonite - its some kind of cold out there!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OFG, I am glad to hear that your goatees (spell check did that and I like it! :gig ) seems to be ok. Scary stuff these critters!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Poor goatie! Yes, they love to do that stuff! When my Ginger did something similar (TWICE!!! Dumb blonde!) I gave her probios, since I did not know how long her rumen was interrupted. She also got a bath, since she was stuck upside-down in the big rubber water tub that I was using for hay, and it looked like everyone else had taken turns pee'ing on her....Since then, she loves having her ears handled, before, couldn't touch them. Silver lining. I love her airplane ears. But I digress...

In the future, you can often find banamine in the fridge of a well-stocked horse farm. It is used with horses a lot. I have some in my fridge from when I had my mare...always kept some on hand.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and she's up!

i think we are in the clear - the dogs and i tromped out there just after sunrise, to the tune of 9* without windchill, and she was just fine.

so i think everyone is on the mend and if we all survive this full moon it will be smooth sailing!

goat crisis averted... returning to our previously scheduled program.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9 deg without windchill

I don't know how you do it. :/ I would not survive.

we are like 29 outside and I am delaying going to the barn and no wind. sunny outside...LOL---heck it was 67 2 days ago.

glad the goat is fine!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Jeesh!! SOoo glad to hear she is looking good now! I tell ya, goats, sheep....both really look for ways to give us strokes! LOL Im going to look into that banamine stuff...sounds like something handy to have on hand....is it ok for sheep too?
Yup, its C O L D out there this morning...we are at a balmy 12 degrees. OUCH! Got the woodstove going finally...and I dont want to leave its side, to go outside! :( Come on SPRING!!!