Preg Goat 911 - * good update, looks like she is ok

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
the cold just plain stinks.

aside from me and the dogs going out there to peek at the goatie just before sunrise, i'm not even going to let anyone out until at least 9:30. we figure that keeping all the doors closed and everyone warm is best. but then its makes a short day for the critters.. thankfully having all the buildings closed also keeps them mostly in the dark so they just hang out. even the guineas are quiet.

but as we walked by, Fred started crowing - so all good news. we are letting him walk around in the garage. he seems to be doing ok - still a little wobbly tho. and he stays under the heat lamp.

what a week!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you have had a week hu? Wow....Glad to hear Fred is doing better. I fear for him when you DO put him back out tho. Im not going out untill 10 am. Thats my "feeding time" Have to keep the sheep on a schedule, so HOPEFULLY lambing times will be later in the AM. I was reading on this procedure..and it seems to work. :/ I just want to be there when they lamb...and, since we will have JUNE lambs....heck, I can camp out in the barn then! LOL

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you know, i thought i had this whole goat thing scheduled pretty well but darn! sometimes a plan just doenst come together. drat. hopefully she'll keep her buns in the oven until march and we will have better weather and more light.

yep - quite a week.

we talked about what to do with good old Fred.. we are going to have to work something out but i'm not sure what. we'll keep him separated thru the weekend and hopefully by then the weather will break and we'll have more options.

he really is the best rooster - totally takes care of the ladies, even if i dont particularly like him. my fav of all the roos is Little Pansy, Son of Big Pansy. he's a single-ish combed, silver brahma x buff orp (we believe)... had a great body shape, a good personality and the hens like him.

but we are afraid we'll have to 'make some decisions' about these roos. we have enough ladies to go around but there is a shift in the power with some of the gals going from Fred to BP. that, the full moon, and the warm weather sent everyone into a tail spin.

we were also wondering if Fred, who is older, maybe might be winding down or sick (that we dont know about) and thats why BP and he have been fighting so much. BP matured last year so we dont know why all of a sudden he got all aggressive. rooster politics, i tell ya. its something else.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have the perfect solution for Fred.

He comes here, and i pair him up with a Wellie gal...and we'll name her Wilma...so we'll have Fred and Wilma.... :p

Can't blame me for trying!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
that hilarious! he WAS named after Fred Flintstone!!! everyone else got renamed but we did keep Barnee (our female of Barney!) hee hee hee

everyone is much better. Fred is up and around in the garage, our goatie is out prancing around in the yard. everyone is happy but me in the cold!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey warthog - good to see you over here!

how's your part of the world?

goatie is just fine - she was out bouncing around the yard despite the darn weather. we think she is in the clear.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
HI ohifarmgirl,

Really good to know your goat pulled through and is in the clear.

My part of the world, is very hot and sticky at the moment.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
warthog said:
My part of the world, is very hot and sticky at the moment.
I'd give anything to be hot and sticky right now! :(