Preparedness Lessons from COVID-19

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holes in our preparedness are the two big ones, water and electricity.
I've been considering a generator large enough for the whole house...not cheap and I'm not committed yet. Need to do more research. I made out ok after Ike with just an average generator. But, I had to rotate freezers and fridge. It wouldn't pull everything at once. It does work on the well - which is a necessity!

I kept saying I need more storage area for feed - but what I really need is less mouths to feed, lol. I'll probably try to store more hay this year.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love it that you are canning, BB! It's a great skill to have and my middle son just asked me yesterday if I would "write down" how I can all this food. I had to laugh...told him I had an old Ball canning book of my mother's that I could give him, but I'd not be writing down much.
I love it, and I have missed doing it the last few years. This has been a good reset and reminder about things for me. My next project is beef roasts, and a Boston butt. I am going to try something different with the beef roast this time. I'll post what I end up doing.

I taught myself how to can meat-- my grandmother never did that. I just read, and watched videos!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd love to get solar panels connected to the power here. Through summer there would be no problems. In winter I use less electricity anyway and there would still be enough sunlight. I think I am just worried someone would fall through the roof while they're getting installed lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I think I am just worried someone would fall through the roof while they're getting installed lol.

that's why you check if they are insured and have experience. :)

i'd love solar hot water, solar heat and solar electricity, but in Michigan you get some long spells without much sunlight in the middle of the winter and even in the summer too so it isn't like living in a very sunny location like the southwest. the payback on solar hot water would be the quickest even if it could only be used during the spring/summer/fall that still means several hundred $ a year in savings, but also if it could be set up to supplement the heating during the fall and spring even if it could not be used during the winter it would make some difference in propane and electricity. the overall solar would be a long term investment that would primarily benefit people who came along after. unfortunately Mom does not want to make any big changes here to the house so we're stuck pretty much as we are. perhaps i can talk her into getting better insulation down below but that's not in the budget any time soon now...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made out ok after Ike with just an average generator. But, I had to rotate freezers and fridge. It wouldn't pull everything at once. It does work on the well - which is a necessity!

I kept saying I need more storage area for feed - but what I really need is less mouths to feed, lol. I'll probably try to store more hay this year.

Same here with generator. But --gas! I have adaptor to plug direct into meter base & then, have to control breakers for those things that draw down fast without notice...well, hot water, etc. But works nicely and I can always cut it off and on. I will carry both frig & freezer, no problem. It has a pull cord BUT also a battery start. I'd go with a propane fueled model for my next. At least I could store enough to last a good while! Like a couple months. But cost is above what I want and I rarely have had power out for more than a day.

YES -- with many livestock animals, water is paramount. I'm sure putting more hay in before winter. Been spoiled with getting a week or 2 at a time with close suppliers. This year I will buy larger. As to feeds, I have plenty of room & containers. It's always the wallet that limits it. LOL With several 1/2 wild cats on patrol, the mice aren't too bad.

Sooo @Beekissed -- I'm surprised you didn't offer for him to come to you for an in person, hands on learning this summer!! :D Not to late to invite.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here with generator. But --gas! I have adaptor to plug direct into meter base & then, have to control breakers for those things that draw down fast without notice...well, hot water, etc. But works nicely and I can always cut it off and on. I will carry both frig & freezer, no problem. It has a pull cord BUT also a battery start. I'd go with a propane fueled model for my next. At least I could store enough to last a good while! Like a couple months. But cost is above what I want and I rarely have had power out for more than a day.

YES -- with many livestock animals, water is paramount. I'm sure putting more hay in before winter. Been spoiled with getting a week or 2 at a time with close suppliers. This year I will buy larger. As to feeds, I have plenty of room & containers. It's always the wallet that limits it. LOL With several 1/2 wild cats on patrol, the mice aren't too bad.

Sooo @Beekissed -- I'm surprised you didn't offer for him to come to you for an in person, hands on learning this summer!! :D Not to late to invite.

Who? :oops: Anyone is welcome to come to WV and hang out, help with canning, butchering, etc. if they want. Got a futon and other comfy couches for sleeping and plenty of good food, quiet time to chat or hang out by a fire and watch the stars.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This shut down is a couple of months of inconvenience. Essential services have continued. We have all learned from this. In a worse situation there would be no essential services, no grocery stores open, no gas stations open. No Feed stores either. We need to ponder on this and we can toss suggestions out for a much worse situation.