Prepping for dogs?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Denim Deb said:
I ever get another dog, I'll be training it from the getgo as a service dog. But, I have a legitimate medical condition. (For those that don't know, I have an inner ear disorder, Meniere's disease, and am subject to vertigo attacks. When one hits, I can't even get out of bed.) I hate to see people take advantage of something like that.
My daughter was diagnosed with Meniere's. She hasn't had trouble with the vertigo for about a year now and I'm glad.
I hope she stays vertigo free for a long time! How old is she?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
terri9630 said:
Denim Deb said:
I ever get another dog, I'll be training it from the getgo as a service dog. But, I have a legitimate medical condition. (For those that don't know, I have an inner ear disorder, Meniere's disease, and am subject to vertigo attacks. When one hits, I can't even get out of bed.) I hate to see people take advantage of something like that.
My daughter was diagnosed with Meniere's. She hasn't had trouble with the vertigo for about a year now and I'm glad.
I hope she stays vertigo free for a long time! How old is she?
16. My grandmother was diagnosed at 85.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
terri probably a post traumatic stress case, lots of vets are having issues with ptsd and theres alot of psych service dogs going out to them
as someone who quailifies (and is HOPING dozer calms down enough to become) a s service dog, it REALY bugs me when people abuse the situation lying about it being a serive dog ect...a dog is nto a service dog unless it is trained to perform tasks that assist its disabled owner in day to day activities.
but we also MUST remember that not all disabilities are visable, theres nothing saying that dog wasnt a medical responce dog ect (as a side note dogs ONLY for emotila support are not considered service animals, they MUST be task trained...

in my case it would have to be a combination of psych and medical responce, nonw of which are visable (unless something happens) and most people would easily look at me and scoff "thats not a service dog" or "she doesnt NEED a service dog" and that is something we need to stop as a whole...

However it is your RIGHT to ask "is that a service dog" and "what kind of tasks doe he/she do" (you cant ask what their disability is or what the service dog is in terms of a technical name, but you can ask HOW it helps the person) in my case ideall the responce (assuming i can get him that far) would be along the lines of "he respondes to my medical condition by fetching medication and help" or "he assists with my balance" ect..

but thats completly off topic. all my dogs (yes including the 5lber) are packers, they each have (or will have im waiting for dozer to finihs growing lol) their own pack, the lil guys cant carry much in terms of supplies but they can carry a few small water bottles and some basic stuff. (both are actually already proven adept at catching and eating mice, chipmonk and squirrel so i wouldnt realy need to bring food, but water obviously would eb a must. both are also excelent "alarm" dogs.
Dozer im hoping to turn into a much more suffificnecy style dog, not only training him as a service dog (again pending hs maturing lol) but id love to have him pulling a small cart...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My GSD does hunt the mice, voles, and shrews around here. When she first showed willing to get them, I encouraged and praised her. She's relentless if she thinks she hears one now. And she catches birds. Small things like sparrows. I've tried to stop her, but she knows they go after the chicken food like the flying rats they are. She's defensive of her chickens. She also herds them one at a time into their pen when I ask.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Teri, so sorry your daughter got this at such a young age. I was in my mid 20s when diagnosed, and have been one of the lucky ones. I still have most of my hearing, and don't have many bad vertigo attacks. If she ever wants someone to talk to, LMK. :hugs

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Teri, so sorry your daughter got this at such a young age. I was in my mid 20s when diagnosed, and have been one of the lucky ones. I still have most of my hearing, and don't have many bad vertigo attacks. If she ever wants someone to talk to, LMK. :hugs
Thanks. She has a small amount of hearing loss in one ear but only when she is having vertigo attacks. The Dr's said it could become permanent if her attacks become more severe. This is a odd disease.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
terri probably a post traumatic stress case, lots of vets are having issues with ptsd and theres alot of psych service dogs going out to them
as someone who quailifies (and is HOPING dozer calms down enough to become) a s service dog, it REALY bugs me when people abuse the situation lying about it being a serive dog ect...a dog is nto a service dog unless it is trained to perform tasks that assist its disabled owner in day to day activities.
but we also MUST remember that not all disabilities are visable, theres nothing saying that dog wasnt a medical responce dog ect (as a side note dogs ONLY for emotila support are not considered service animals, they MUST be task trained...

in my case it would have to be a combination of psych and medical responce, nonw of which are visable (unless something happens) and most people would easily look at me and scoff "thats not a service dog" or "she doesnt NEED a service dog" and that is something we need to stop as a whole...

However it is your RIGHT to ask "is that a service dog" and "what kind of tasks doe he/she do" (you cant ask what their disability is or what the service dog is in terms of a technical name, but you can ask HOW it helps the person) in my case ideall the responce (assuming i can get him that far) would be along the lines of "he respondes to my medical condition by fetching medication and help" or "he assists with my balance" ect..

but thats completly off topic. all my dogs (yes including the 5lber) are packers, they each have (or will have im waiting for dozer to finihs growing lol) their own pack, the lil guys cant carry much in terms of supplies but they can carry a few small water bottles and some basic stuff. (both are actually already proven adept at catching and eating mice, chipmonk and squirrel so i wouldnt realy need to bring food, but water obviously would eb a must. both are also excelent "alarm" dogs.
Dozer im hoping to turn into a much more suffificnecy style dog, not only training him as a service dog (again pending hs maturing lol) but id love to have him pulling a small cart...
What drives me nuts are the people that treat their dogs like babies and think because they are small that they should be allowed anywhere. It bugs me to no end to see people carrying dogs in the grocery store. It also bugs me when people let their kids bug service dogs. The dog is working, its not a toy.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
When my kids were little, if we saw a service dog, we'd ask the person about the dog, what they used it for, what kind of jobs it did, etc. Everyone was more than willing to answer our questions, and I think they appreciated the fact that the kids were eager to learn and didn't try to bother the dog.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I was at a fast food place getting a burger with my kiddo.

In walks a women on oxygen. nothing else 'I could see'. maybe 'anxiety service dog'??
Seriously?! Since when are YOU qualified to evaluate a person's physical health and ability to function, much less question their doctor's recommendations?

I have invisible disabilities and use a service dog. Without my dog's assistance I am severely limited to the extent that I would not be able to get the medical help I need. Judgmental, uneducated people who question my rights and my health cause debilitating stress for me and often keep me homebound - often causing me to miss my frequent Dr. appointments or run out of medication.

Using a service dog is the most self-sufficient thing I have ever done.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
When my kids were little, if we saw a service dog, we'd ask the person about the dog, what they used it for, what kind of jobs it did, etc. Everyone was more than willing to answer our questions, and I think they appreciated the fact that the kids were eager to learn and didn't try to bother the dog.
Never ask what a dog is used for. Would I walk up to you and ask you what your medical conditions are? No! Even a business cannot ask what disability a service dog is used for. Legally they can only ask what tasks the dog performs - and with some recent legal actions modifying the definition of a service dog to not require "physical tasks" as was previously required, soon this will not be acceptable or legal either.

Don't be offended when you don't get your conversation. My dog's purpose is to help me function, not to entertain other people's children. Sometimes (most of the time) people with service dogs just want to buy a gallon of milk and go home. This is particularly true of people with invisible disabilities.