Prepping for dogs?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You're welcome. Most people poo poo it. They don't understand how debilitating it can be.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unfrotunatly deb thats how it is with MOST "none visual" disabilities, people assume because you "look normal" you must be and therefore your just overreacting.
somethign i unfortunatly get frequently...
i cant tell you how many times the topic of me training my boy as a service dog has tunred into someone telling me "but theres nothing wrong with you", or "oh its not THAT bad" they have no idea how these things can serious effect things that most folks take for granted!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use my dogs for livestock safety and home guarding....but they are also big enough to come in handy as food if the chips are down. If food were scarce and they could no longer provide for their own needs by hunting small game, I'd utilize them as human food. That's the beauty of having bigger dogs.....if they can't guard or catch your food, they can BE your food.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

But we have said the same thing. My catahoulas are good with hunting and guarding. They also bring home the occasonal rabbit or possum. So if it came down to it, they could feed themselves. (The squirrls are too quick and piss them off lol)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sorry everyone for dropping this thread. I had my baby so I am now ready to start working my dogs again. I was working with service dogs and how found that a lot of the skills they are taught could come in handy. My dogs have really gotten bad. They are blowing me off like crazy. My fault I didn't do anything with them. I got very lazy when I was pregnant. I am going to start them over like they are pups. Blah. All that work gone to pot. Oh well. So what skills do you find the most helpful that your dogs have?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I've encouraged my GSDs natural instincts and can command her to check for the voles now. She absolutely loves to get them, so praise for doing so, along with the snack aspect, worked well. She'll back off and let the chickens have them if I ask.

We work on "give" regularly and "wait".

Their job is to look scary and warn us of anyone approaching.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
I am sorry everyone for dropping this thread. I had my baby so I am now ready to start working my dogs again. I was working with service dogs and how found that a lot of the skills they are taught could come in handy. My dogs have really gotten bad. They are blowing me off like crazy. My fault I didn't do anything with them. I got very lazy when I was pregnant. I am going to start them over like they are pups. Blah. All that work gone to pot. Oh well. So what skills do you find the most helpful that your dogs have?
No need to be sorry...life happens and congrats on your newest addition! :hugs

I've been having issues with our new pup, too, as far as the blowing off is concerned and a lot of it is my own fault. Feel like realizing that fact is part of the battle and now it's up to me to correct it.

Cheyenne is 17 weeks old and super-smart. I keep catching myself getting soft with her when I need to be the one in control. My plan is to take her for a good walk in the woods, then spend a bit of time with working her on commands since she'll be tired and I should be able to get her attention better. I've just started working this route and I'm noticing improvement when calling her to "come in".

Will do my best to keep updating here and let ya's know how it's going. ;)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
ninny said:
No need to be sorry...life happens and congrats on your newest addition! :hugs

I've been having issues with our new pup, too, as far as the blowing off is concerned and a lot of it is my own fault. Feel like realizing that fact is part of the battle and now it's up to me to correct it.

Cheyenne is 17 weeks old and super-smart. I keep catching myself getting soft with her when I need to be the one in control. My plan is to take her for a good walk in the woods, then spend a bit of time with working her on commands since she'll be tired and I should be able to get her attention better. I've just started working this route and I'm noticing improvement when calling her to "come in".

Will do my best to keep updating here and let ya's know how it's going. ;)
Thank you!! I'm finding myself wiped out and very sore at the end of the day. So not really wanting to work dogs yet. Once i'm really up and about I have another dog coming over for boot camp.
Dawn419 What kind of dog is she? Are you working on basics? I love marker training. Works great on the slower dogs. Make sure shes hungry if you are training with food.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ninny,

She's an Australian Shepherd. I'm just working her on the basics at this time, some days are better than others. Our last two Aussies seemed like they'd trip over themselves to do what you wanted of them, were as Cheyenne seems to be all about herself. :/

We talked about clicker training her, can't get one locally and forgot to look for one the last time we were at the big pet store. :rolleyes: We'll have a chance to get back to that store in a couple weeks, though. We're also getting an e-book about Australian Shepherds that has a lot of info on training them.

I've been using her favorite squeak toy, to get her attention , the past two days and it's been working well, so far.

Edited to add: Please don't hesitate to give me pointers or smack me down if I'm doing something wrong. I've not dealt with an actual puppy in close to 20 years and all help is appreciated! ;)

Latest posts