Prepping/stocking supplies

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what about emergency lighting supplies? what do you guys think is proper to keep on hand? we dont have much, just a few lamps and some candles. definitely need to work on this for sure!
20220108_193522.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome, tripletfeb!

First decide why your stocking up and what you eat, storage type and space available. You can't accomplish without a reasonable plan. Is it short term, long term, emergency or....

You'll see many on here are not stocking as a "prepper" fearing world collapse but as a lifestyle in which we are sustaining our families both daily and in these days of unusual shortages. What you stock is very dependant on your current life. Like many, I garden, can produce, freeze, etc. Plus I have chickens, dairy goats...so eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, meat. So supply most of my own foods. I stock things but buy extras differently than one who doesn't say, have a garden.

@frustratedearthmother gave you some good threads to review. 😊.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I guess I should have mentioned that I do garden and can my own produce, tomatoes, beans, carrots, jams. Have been doing that my whole life, from my great grandma on down. And I do have chickens for their eggs. I do want to get into meat chickens but I can't have more than 6 chickens in my town. We do stock up on toiletries and cleaning supplies. I will look into those other threads, thanks for the links!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can reduce the areas to heat comfortably sometimes. Using minimal to reduce freezing in other areas. I live in downstairs of my house, using basically no heat up there in winter, no AC in summer. Downstairs comfy. More clothes in winter with lower house temps by few degrees. I also have, electric, propane, kerosene types available to use.

Maybe your relatives have a plan.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The oils and hydraulic fluids for tractor....wow almost 50% increase! So I keep those and a few quarts for vehicles, mowers. I have oil changes done at those places on truck, car.

Prices have changed since COVID but, my storage supplies are same as always mostly. Besides emergencies, I plan for less income and more expens all winter. Heating, animal feeds, etc, cost more than open windows and pasture. My work drops by 80% in winter. ;) you plan ahead.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom did yell at me for forgetting a box on our last trip down. It's a bunch of old oil lamps. Some from my great grandparents.

No one else wanted them when my grandparents died so Dad took them. Parents are cleaning stuff out of the shed now 15 years on. We lose power enough that they would be useful. Not sure what types of oil they use or if it's kerosene.

Normally I use beeswax candles. Got a bunch of votives on sale once, plus a whole box of beeswax tealights.

I did make a makeshift olive oil lamp the first year here with a bowl, some foil to protect the rim, and a cottonball pulled and rolled into a wick.
nice thing about olive oil lamps is that, if they fall down or get tipped over, the flame tends to extinguish, rather than start a fire like kerosene or other fuels do. Down side is the light is not as bright. I have olive oil lamps ready to use in bedrooms.