Prepping/stocking supplies

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Texas! I'm not familiar with Keystone products but there are threads on this forum pretty well dedicated to stocking up. I'll attach a couple of links.

The first thread you linked was started by Sumi!😥 I've been a member of BYC for many years and loved Sumi and was very sad when I found out she had passed

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tripletfeb welcome to the forum from Texas, glad to have you here. Stock up on CANNING SUPPLIES!! Thankfully, I always keep a good supply of lids, but it got pretty low when there was nothing on the shelves. I put the year of purchase on the boxes so I use the oldest first. At least, that's how I'm supposed to use them! LOL

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everyone should take a look at the US Drought Monitor... and see the extent of the drought areas. I heard something on the radio today that I didn't catch all of it, but about a reservoir in Utah that is so low that they are concerned about enough water for homes and making the electricity to power those homes??? Scary.
But with this drought monitor, most need to realize that alot of the wheat grown in this country is "dryland" wheat... not irrigated... and if we do not get much moisture, there will be crop failures.... if the crops are too sparse, it will not pay the farmer to harvest it because it will cost more than the harvested crop is worth.
On top of that, the beef cow herd numbers are dropping. Some farmers are culling heavy due to the dry conditions. Not enough grass, and not enough moisture to make hay. Hay costs are going to go up. On top of that the cull cow price is high now... higher than it has been in years. There are alot of bred cows that are getting sold and going to the kill buyers. This is going to lessen the number of calves that will be born next year, further decreasing available numbers.
I realize that many on here are not big beef eaters. But for anyone that is, you need to make sure if you buy beef that you get some stockpiled because the prices are going to go up. We sold nearly all our heifers that weigh in the 450-550 lb range since prices were higher than they have been in years. Partly to help pay for the fertilizer prices that are now TRIPLE what they were last year. But this also took these heifers out of the "pipeline" as far as being bred as replacements, for calving in 18 months.......
I know of 3 beef farmers that have sold out in the last month.... and a 240 cow dairy that I milk tested for the last 30+ years just sold out. Most of the dairy cows did go to another dairy in PA... but I have 2 others in the retirement age bracket that are talking about going out....
Gas has come down here about 10-15 cents in the last week. But things are getting worse in the Russia/Ukraine situation... there is A LOT of WHEAT grown in the Ukraine....it may not directly affect us but it will affect the world supply which will affect us in prices if nothing else...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Be nice if they quit flood irritating almond trees in California. Hubby saw a lot of that happening around where he worked when he was sent down there.

Flood irritation wastes water. They quit doing that over in NE Oregon back in the 80s because of the waste. Almond trees are water hogs and shouldn't be grown there anyway. All the people who go on about how much water cows drink and then pour themselves some almond milk are hypocrites.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My family has in-laws that reside in France and it’s starting to get real over there. Fortunately they are rather wealthy but they have begun to use an extra apartment they have as their store room and have been putting food and supplies in there. My sister was breaking down the dollars per euro conversion and she said that a liter of gas costs over $2 in France. They have been told that by winter they won’t have enough gas to warm their houses. Technically they do own both homes but they are referred to as apartments because of being connected to other dwellings and they aren’t allowed to install fireplaces or wood stoves in the city. I was trying to suggest kerosene cook stoves and looking into camping gear for emergency heating. I also learned that the family had just sold the grandparents country house. Not good. I understand they don’t live as I do but they might have had a place to retreat to all ready and could have shared a few chores with family. Sis suggested they get electric blankets. They have been trying for over two years to come to Louisiana but COVID messed things up or so I am told.
So is that coming here? I don’t know but sometimes I think we get warnings.

gardening is a great way to help everyone have some extra food. some people say they don't have the time, but it doesn't take a huge area to grow something and every little bit helps.