Prepping/stocking supplies

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi all! My hubby and I are thinking and trying to stock up on things. But we are total newbies! Any advice on good food products to stock up on? We did see Keystone canned meat products and they looked good, thoughts?
look over the LDS website. they have guild lines for prepping and a food calculator thats very helpful

i would start by getting some mylar bags with O2 absorbers and start putting up pinto beans.
Then rice amd oatmeal. but be sure to freeze the rice and oats for a few days before packing

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been eating from freezer and pantry for a while now. Have a lot more than one person needs! :lol: amazing what I bought at sales and glad I did! And my canning has proven it was worth the effort.

When you see the economy tank, you become appreciative of such efforts. It gives you peace of mind.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am also eating more from home stores... but still watching for bargains when I am in a store. Still picking up some tp and stuff when I am out .....
Oil barrel price has come down some... gas here at the local stations is back down to 3.99/gal....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Freeze flour, too. I've see weevils in flour more than anything else.
Freezing flour doesn't kill the eggs (that's how they survive winter, after all). It will kill the adults and newly hatched weevils though. I read that a good way to do it is to freeze for a couple weeks, then take the flour out and hold at room temp for a few weeks, then freeze again to catch the newly hatched ones. Bit of a hassle, but it works.

Latest posts