Prepping/stocking supplies

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everyone should take a look at the US Drought Monitor... and see the extent of the drought areas. I heard something on the radio today that I didn't catch all of it, but about a reservoir in Utah that is so low that they are concerned about enough water for homes and making the electricity to power those homes??? Scary.
But with this drought monitor, most need to realize that alot of the wheat grown in this country is "dryland" wheat... not irrigated... and if we do not get much moisture, there will be crop failures.... if the crops are too sparse, it will not pay the farmer to harvest it because it will cost more than the harvested crop is worth.
On top of that, the beef cow herd numbers are dropping. Some farmers are culling heavy due to the dry conditions. Not enough grass, and not enough moisture to make hay. Hay costs are going to go up. On top of that the cull cow price is high now... higher than it has been in years. There are alot of bred cows that are getting sold and going to the kill buyers. This is going to lessen the number of calves that will be born next year, further decreasing available numbers.
I realize that many on here are not big beef eaters. But for anyone that is, you need to make sure if you buy beef that you get some stockpiled because the prices are going to go up. We sold nearly all our heifers that weigh in the 450-550 lb range since prices were higher than they have been in years. Partly to help pay for the fertilizer prices that are now TRIPLE what they were last year. But this also took these heifers out of the "pipeline" as far as being bred as replacements, for calving in 18 months.......
I know of 3 beef farmers that have sold out in the last month.... and a 240 cow dairy that I milk tested for the last 30+ years just sold out. Most of the dairy cows did go to another dairy in PA... but I have 2 others in the retirement age bracket that are talking about going out....
Gas has come down here about 10-15 cents in the last week. But things are getting worse in the Russia/Ukraine situation... there is A LOT of WHEAT grown in the Ukraine....it may not directly affect us but it will affect the world supply which will affect us in prices if nothing else...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everyone should take a look at the US Drought Monitor... and see the extent of the drought areas. I heard something on the radio today that I didn't catch all of it, but about a reservoir in Utah that is so low that they are concerned about enough water for homes and making the electricity to power those homes??? Scary.
But with this drought monitor, most need to realize that alot of the wheat grown in this country is "dryland" wheat... not irrigated... and if we do not get much moisture, there will be crop failures.... if the crops are too sparse, it will not pay the farmer to harvest it because it will cost more than the harvested crop is worth.
On top of that, the beef cow herd numbers are dropping. Some farmers are culling heavy due to the dry conditions. Not enough grass, and not enough moisture to make hay. Hay costs are going to go up. On top of that the cull cow price is high now... higher than it has been in years. There are alot of bred cows that are getting sold and going to the kill buyers. This is going to lessen the number of calves that will be born next year, further decreasing available numbers.
I realize that many on here are not big beef eaters. But for anyone that is, you need to make sure if you buy beef that you get some stockpiled because the prices are going to go up. We sold nearly all our heifers that weigh in the 450-550 lb range since prices were higher than they have been in years. Partly to help pay for the fertilizer prices that are now TRIPLE what they were last year. But this also took these heifers out of the "pipeline" as far as being bred as replacements, for calving in 18 months.......
I know of 3 beef farmers that have sold out in the last month.... and a 240 cow dairy that I milk tested for the last 30+ years just sold out. Most of the dairy cows did go to another dairy in PA... but I have 2 others in the retirement age bracket that are talking about going out....
Gas has come down here about 10-15 cents in the last week. But things are getting worse in the Russia/Ukraine situation... there is A LOT of WHEAT grown in the Ukraine....it may not directly affect us but it will affect the world supply which will affect us in prices if nothing else...

Most definitely no drought around here at this time.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like we are at the abnormally dry, which I totally believe. This snow is just being sucked up into the ground and/or evaporated.

I did hear about the reservoir that supplies electricity to lots of individuals but I didn't hear the what if.

I did hear projected dry/drought areas again this year and growing. We have been stockpiling on meat of all kinds here. I can't believe how expensive it has gotten, at one of the local farms we buy from it is $19/lb for steak. :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I won't be out of meat...all be it chicken, goat and pork...but strongly considering a feeder steer. :idunno it's still not free to raise any of these but, it's available! Everyone remember eggs are great protein 😊! Also, I've been eating a lot less meat even though I am well stocked in freezer..

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i follow the western water situation on a daily basis (both California and Colorado). it's hobby of mine and also because i have relatives out west and it gives us something to talk about. :)

the large reserviors on the Colorado River (Lake Mead and Lake Powell) are at pretty low levels, but they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, holding water from the wetter years so they can be used for the dry years. the past 20yrs though have been pretty tough with two or three major series of drought years.

last year's snow pack was dismal on top of the previous summer's almost complete lack of monsoon rains so the soil was really dry and soaked up almost all of the snow melt (even if the snow pack was near normal).

this year's hydrological season is much different in comparison. the snow pack is currently around normal but there has also been a lot of monsoon rains and other events so the soil moisture level is much better. not that this makes it a guaranteed better water year than last year but it should be better if we pick up a few more winter (well now coming up on spring) storms. alas, the weather forecast is not looking that great for the end of the snow accumulation season. like with anything weather related we'll just have to see. there can be some big storms yet.

as for electrical generation Lake Powell does not reach critical pool for that until it reaches about 3490ft (the intakes are at 3470ft but they can't run them without some buffer above them because they don't want to suck in air which can mess up the turbines). right now the level is at 3524.5ish which gives them some time to plan for changes if they're needed. the forecast though is for it right now to bottom out someplace between 3515ft - 3520ft. so things are probably ok for this year. the bigger question is what about next year... and that is entirely weather dependent.

Lake Mead is a different issue. it continues to fall because Lake Powell has reduced releases.

for power generation Lake Mead has to be at or above 1050ft and currently it's about 1063.8ft.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ran through Wally World this morning. Stocked up on about 6 months of paper products. Prices are up, but the shelves were basically full.

Ball canning jars in ample supply. Both Golden Harvest and Ball lids were plentiful. I bought 8 dozen. I think I have 20+ dozen lids now stashed away.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug , I do not follow it near as close as you but did read about the levels that are needed for power generation and all. It is just scary to think about how much the droughts affect overall.
Of course my focus is more on the ag side.... the cattle industry and grazing and growing of hay and the irrigation that goes into so much of the "western hay". They have perfect weather for the cutting,curing, raking, baling part... hence the reason there is so much hay that is grown with irrigated fields. And having the reservoirs there as you said, to contain water from wet/good years.... but to see the depth of "exposed" land makes a person think about the what if's....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug , I do not follow it near as close as you but did read about the levels that are needed for power generation and all. It is just scary to think about how much the droughts affect overall.

i just had to edit due to mistakes in the original (most amounts were starting with 24 when it should have been 25). oops. :)

Of course my focus is more on the ag side.... the cattle industry and grazing and growing of hay and the irrigation that goes into so much of the "western hay". They have perfect weather for the cutting,curing, raking, baling part... hence the reason there is so much hay that is grown with irrigated fields. And having the reservoirs there as you said, to contain water from wet/good years.... but to see the depth of "exposed" land makes a person think about the what if's....

from what i see there is still a lot of ways that less water could be used and more water could be recycled.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Be nice if they quit flood irritating almond trees in California. Hubby saw a lot of that happening around where he worked when he was sent down there.

Flood irritation wastes water. They quit doing that over in NE Oregon back in the 80s because of the waste. Almond trees are water hogs and shouldn't be grown there anyway. All the people who go on about how much water cows drink and then pour themselves some almond milk are hypocrites.