Prepping/stocking supplies

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We still have oil lamp fuel from Y2K. Don't know if it's still good. We use candles if the power goes out. I would like to make an olive oil lamp.

Baking soda is a great cleaner to have excessive boxes of, and inexpensive. Also good in place of tooth paste.
thats a great idea

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We recently discovered that our insurance company allowed nearly $200 EACH to DH and myself to buy OTC medical supplies. We stocked up on lots of basics. I have more alcohol, peroxide, Bandaids pain relievers, chapstick and eye drops than I'll use for awhile!
Yes, the hubster needs that OTC (from TSC) dewormer!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so you guys i spired me to try and make an oil lamp. i split a regular lamp wick in half popped a hole in a mason jar with a chisel and filled it with a mix of 1/3 lamp oil to 2/3 olive oil. its reported on line that olive oil doesnt wick well because of the viscosity thats why i used the lamp oil to thin it down some. both oils mixed well
20220111_150056.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We recently discovered that our insurance company allowed nearly $200 EACH to DH and myself to buy OTC medical supplies. We stocked up on lots of basics. I have more alcohol, peroxide, Bandaids pain relievers, chapstick and eye drops than I'll use for awhile!
these are important things for sure!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so you guys i spired me to try and make an oil lamp. i split a regular lamp wick in half popped a hole in a mason jar with a chisel and filled it with a mix of 1/3 lamp oil to 2/3 olive oil. its reported on line that olive oil doesnt wick well because of the viscosity thats why i used the lamp oil to thin it down some. both oils mixed wellView attachment 18024

The wicking issue is why it has to be fairly shallow for olive oil.

I have a couple emergency oil candles but Im not happy with them. Not much light.