Prepping/stocking supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At our house it is basically anything with long expiration dates and can be eaten right out of the package or with minimal ingredients.

Basic cleaning and toiletries

Baking supplies including spices. Honey and maple syrup are great for long term storage.

canned tomatoes in glass. should last several years at least if the seal remains unbroken.

pretty much anything in glass now that i think of it. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
canned tomatoes in glass. should last several years at least if the seal remains unbroken.

pretty much anything in glass now that i think of it. :)
Agreed, but wasn't sure if canning was an option, it isn't for everyone.

We always have some soups, tuna, spaghettios (for the kids), oatmeal, etc that you can literally open and eat or only have to add water to. Sometimes those 'feel good' foods are nice.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tripletfeb welcome to the forum from Texas, glad to have you here. Stock up on CANNING SUPPLIES!! Thankfully, I always keep a good supply of lids, but it got pretty low when there was nothing on the shelves. I put the year of purchase on the boxes so I use the oldest first. At least, that's how I'm supposed to use them! LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hi all! My hubby and I are thinking and trying to stock up on things. But we are total newbies! Any advice on good food products to stock up on? We did see Keystone canned meat products and they looked good, thoughts?

Thanks everyone! I guess I should have mentioned that I do garden and can my own produce, tomatoes, beans, carrots, jams. Have been doing that my whole life, from my great grandma on down. And I do have chickens for their eggs. I do want to get into meat chickens but I can't have more than 6 chickens in my town. We do stock up on toiletries and cleaning supplies. I will look into those other threads, thanks for the links!
You're hardly a newbie! You are better prepared than average! :welcome

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Keeping a large amount of canning supplies in storage proved to be a very good thing for me when the shortage hit. Even helped out my uncle on lids.
Last year, I can't tell you how many stores I called and went to looking for lids. I even ordered from Amazon and they were supposed to be Ball brand but they were a cheap China knock off. I had to return them and ended up ordering them from Ebay. I should look into that again

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lids are hit or miss here, but I have seen them often enough. Hubby told me to get more, but I have 180 boxes. I think Im good.

I kind of went wild a few months before the shortage happened because I had a really bad feeling about lids. I'd buy a dozen every grocery trip.

Then I started cleaning house and found boxes of lids Id put away in many different places. It all added up. That was on top of the 60 lid boxes Id known I had before that. I use a lot of lids canning fish and was making sure I had enough. Can't reuse those lids as they always bend badly removing them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Last year, I can't tell you how many stores I called and went to looking for lids. I even ordered from Amazon and they were supposed to be Ball brand but they were a cheap China knock off. I had to return them and ended up ordering them from Ebay. I should look into that again
Rumor has been that Ball lids would be restocked April 2022. They had manufacturing problems. You should be able to get them soon. I have found some decent off-brand lids and some that are better than Ball. I'm not convinced the canning jar lid shortage will last much longer, but if it does we have some decent alternatives. If you are looking for long-term stocking, remember that lids should be used within 1 year of purchase. (however, my older lids sealed just fine)