President help needed!! NOT Political! Chicken naming!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
enjoy the ride said:
I peeked at this post a little hesitantly- you know trying to avoid political firefights. :hide
But I'm so glad I looked- totally funny- so many chikens wwith such digified names. :lol: A living chicken history lesson. :D
ROTFL!!!!!!! I guess I should put in the title NON-Political thread! LOLOLOOL but who'd believe me?! :p

We've decided the other two girls will be named Michelle and Belle, so Polk is going to have a nice little trio of "wives". :gig
THAT is just SOOOOOO wrong! :/
:gig

Ok, well, you got better names for them??

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
keljonma said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
ROTFL!!!!!!! I guess I should put in the title NON-Political thread! LOLOLOOL but who'd believe me?! :p

We've decided the other two girls will be named Michelle and Belle, so Polk is going to have a nice little trio of "wives". :gig

None of ours got their names until I had a chance to know their personality or characteristic traits (looks, feathering, etc).

Quincy is John Quincy Adams because his frizzle feathers reminded me of JQA's mutton chop side burns. IF that chick would have been a pullet, I was thinking of going with Barbara Pierce Bush for a name, because she has curly hair.

Louisa is named for JQA's wife, a very genteel woman.

Polk is the "dark horse", as James K. Polk was called. Also, there is a slight facial resemblence.

Cuckoo Marans are a French breed. James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe were Francophiles. Even after they became President & First Lady, they and their daughters spoke French at home. Think of Mrs. Monroe as an earlier version of Jackie Kennedy (sophisticated, fashionista, cultured, Francophile). So - that is how Monroe and Elizabeth got their names.

All of my chickens were named in this same way...... so let's see what they look like after they have arrived. ;) :cool:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd say you gals have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands~but we know it isn't so! ;)

I don't have all of mine named....just a few who are distinctive for one reason or another.

Sue-RIR #1 roo (son is a Johnny Cash fan... :rolleyes: )

Sweet Lou, Blue Orp #2 roo - again, a son's naming choice from a movie character they liked.

Tobias- Partridge Rock #3 roo-I named that one! :D He just lookedlike a Toby.

Moby Dick, leghorn hen- our first white chicken in this flock(son's choice!)

Bob, aussie hen- part of a matched set, named by son-see a trend here? :rolleyes:

Bib, aussie hen- the other half of the set, met the chopping block by mistake. :(

Shaka Kahn, Black Star hen- obvious, huh? Black gal with red "hair"! :lol:

You see just how much thought doesn't go into our naming process? :p :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
keljonma said:

None of ours got their names until I had a chance to know their personality or characteristic traits (looks, feathering, etc).

Quincy is John Quincy Adams because his frizzle feathers reminded me of JQA's mutton chop side burns. IF that chick would have been a pullet, I was thinking of going with Barbara Pierce Bush for a name, because she has curly hair.

Polk is the "dark horse", as James K. Polk was called. Also, there is a slight facial resemblence.

Cuckoo Marans are a French breed. James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe were Franophiles. Even after they became President & First Lady, they and their daughters spoke French at home. Think of Mrs. Monroe as an earlier version of Jackie Kennedy (sophisticated, fashionista, cultured, Francophile). So - that is how Monroe and Elizabeth got their names.

All of my chickens were named in this same way...... so let's see what they look like after they have arrived. ;) :cool:
Ok! In that case, when they get here, I'm bombarding you with pics, and you can help me choose names! (I'll be stubborn on the name Belle, though! Because the cochins look like little Southern Belle Ladies IMO. :)

And Bee, don't you know you should never name a boy Sue? :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, he is kind of small for a RIR and the boys thought it would help toughen him up....he was so sweet and gentle to the girls~like a courtly southern gentleman.

THEN...we got Sweet Lou. Ten tons of Blue Orp up against 10 ounces of RIR....no contest. Sue beats him up every day and twice on Sunday! :lol:

The boys like to think its because he has to be tough to make up for his name.

My name is Sue, how do you do! :rant

:lol:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
SKR8PN said:
I gotta meet ANYONE who has this much fun just naming their chickens!! LOL! LOL! How close to Mansfield are you??
Hmmm Not sure? How far is that from Massillion? I'm an hour and a half drive South of Massillion.

Most of my chickens here are named :) I have roughly 80?? and they all have such unique personalities!
I am about 45 minutes WEST of Massillon (Mapquest Mansfield)
The wife's brother lives just off of Tuscaroras in Massillon!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
SKR8PN said:
I gotta meet ANYONE who has this much fun just naming their chickens!! LOL! LOL! How close to Mansfield are you??
Hmmm Not sure? How far is that from Massillion? I'm an hour and a half drive South of Massillion.

Most of my chickens here are named :) I have roughly 80?? and they all have such unique personalities!
I am about 45 minutes WEST of Massillon (Mapquest Mansfield)
The wife's brother lives just off of Tuscaroras in Massillon!!
I know where Tusc is! My husband used to be the assistant manager to the Valvoline there. And as a kid, I lived (with my mom of course) across from the Massillion fire department in an aparment, right next to the Harley shop!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Q A we are almost neighbors!!:lol:
Bro-in-law lives just off Tusc and Genoa, not to far from the Perry Police Dept.!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
keljonma said:
Quail_Antwerp said:

Cuckoo Marans are a French breed. James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe were Franophiles. Even after they became President & First Lady, they and their daughters spoke French at home. Think of Mrs. Monroe as an earlier version of Jackie Kennedy (sophisticated, fashionista, cultured, Francophile). So - that is how Monroe and Elizabeth got their names.

Ok! In that case, when they get here, I'm bombarding you with pics, and you can help me choose names! (I'll be stubborn on the name Belle, though! Because the cochins look like little Southern Belle Ladies IMO. :)
No problem! :cool:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd say you gals have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands~but we know it isn't so! ;) You see just how much thought doesn't go into our naming process? :p :lol:
It really doesn't take much time... just whatever time spent taking care of chicklettes. Other that that... My mom said I started out life as a HISTORY major. What can I say? :lol: