Presidential Debate--who watched?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I am really really leery of seeing *either* McCain or Obama in the White House. I think both are very capable of massively screwing things up further, albeit each in his own way.
Pat
I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't trust either of them. I actually would have considered McCain before he put Palin on the ticket. She's the scariest of all, IMHO. I'm voting 3rd party, although I haven't quite decided for whom yet. I've always liked Nader b/c, since he came from the consumer-advocate camp, I KNOW he's looking out for me! (Although I'm sure HE'S in somebody's pocket, too.) :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know I didn't like most of the answers to the questions, alot of answers never answered the questions..LOL

It was fluff to me. Each candidate had to best the other in some way----which of course is the norm, but it would have been nice if someone, either one, would have answered questions more in depth....but then again, they had a format of 1 minute to answer..and we all know no one can answer America's fix questions in 1 minute....I guess that is why they always went over their time...LOL-LOL

Both are in someone's pockets, they have to be to be in politics to that level. Not just thrilled with either but then again, I guess whoever is elected will face a horrible battle and will be known as the "best president" that helped the nation, or the "worst president of all time" that trashed us further.

Hmm....I wouldn't want that job for the next 4 years..LOL-LOL

One thing caught me when Obama said in his answer-------"In my FIRST term as President I will...."-----Hmmm...if he gets the first does he think he already has the second term in the bag????lol

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I, too, considered McCain before Palin. I cannot accept that she would be ready to run the country... Just my opinion.

I thought enjoytheride had a good point about advisers. I think they have so much influence that a potential president should have to prominently introduce each of them as well as stating whom he plans to appoint to cabinet positions. Otherwise, we only know about 1 person in a picture filled with people...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I would have voted for McCain as being quite likely the least of the available evils (I may not agree with all his ideas but I think he is the most likely to be able to keep the trains running on time and act like a grownup) until Palin became his running mate. With all due respect to those who think she'd be great, she scares the PANTS off me, personally.

So I'm ending up not even voting, given the annoyance of the procedures for voting from outside the country. Sigh.

Of course, I was rather leery of Clinton when he got elected and I have to say that while I am not 100% keen about everything he did in office, and the last six months or year was a TOTAL EMBARRASMENT good grief :p, he actually did quite a lot better than I had expected. At this point, I think I just have to hope that McCain or Obama (personally, I'm guessing the latter will win) surprises me as much or more :p

No offense meant to those with different views, 'it's a free country' ;),

Pat

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of you read the Onion (a satirical e-newspaper), but they have had some HILARIOUS 'articles' about the presidential campaign. One of the recent headlines was "New Debate Rules Allow for 15-Second Strangulation." There were times last night where I'm sure that thought was running through each of their heads! :gig

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I personally have incredibly liberal opinions on politics, so it's clear to me who I'll vote for, as they're both less liberal than I'd like, but Obama is at least closer to what I aim to see in government. I also find him an inspiring speaker, and like the idea of someone who's that convincing, exciting, and charismatic being the public face of our nation.

But last night's debate was kind of sad to me. Neither of them really answered the questions asked, instead just delivering their campaign speeches in 1- to 2-minute segments. I want a president who can answer a tough question with grace and substance, and the strategy seems to currently be to avoid all questions and just say what you want to say. I agree with Obama's principles more, but the fact is that both of them dodged all the questions, and just talked about their own platform. The only person I've seen actually answer the questions posed was Joe Biden, and while I don't think he was very charismatic or inspiring, I was personally inspired by how he actually listened to what the moderator said, and responded specifically to the questions asked, with intelligence.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I will say I'm surprised to read what I have hear in a self-sufficiency forum. Obama is for centralizing government, he doesn't want you self sufficient, he wants you dependent. Neither one is good, but McCain will hurt me less.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was surprised too! I actually called my DH at work to read some of the posts to him. I prefer government to stick their fingers in my life as LITTLE as possible. Too bad a 3rd party candidate can not be seriously considered in this country!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Although Republicans are supposed to be for less government, I have personally never seen gov't involved in so many parts of our lives, welcome or not, ever. So, not sure what the last 2 opinions are based on but would be very interested to hear.

Plus, I might add that self-sufficient folks try to be just that. That does not mean I don't want there to be lots of support and help for other people who are not as lucky as I have been. I may not want the gov't in my business of raising chickens, but I understand there needs to be gov't oversight of our food supply, for example, in order that greedy corporations don't jeopardize our lives and health through crappy business practices.

But, I wander...

Latest posts