Presidential Debate--who watched?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you. I mostly wanted it to shove into my mom's face. Everytime she is over she brings up the birth certificate thing. When I told her I hadn't heard about it she informed me that my husband and I didn't hear it because we are listening to the one sided news of the media :rolleyes:

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the birth certificate thing was brought up early on, at the same time that his heritage was brought up. I was a Hillary fan and so of course started to read what people were writing about it, but really, it was nothing substantial. I already hinted about how I feel about a government moving in on my right to freedom of religion, I feel the same way about all of our freedoms, including right to bear arms (although why anyone needs an oozie is beyond me), but I think the issue in this election is the economy and that The Trickle Down Theory just doesn't work because people are too greedy. I just don't want a job I want a good one, I don't want a low minimum wage, I want a decent wage, I don't want an open door policy to immigrants I want some restraint, I want my kid to be able to work the job that all the immigrants are getting, I want businesses that go out of the country to have high tariffs on their imports into this country so it doesn't profit them to leave and if they want to leave let them, if that is what they choose then they aren't Americans.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't care if you're black or white, if you want to take away even more of my own personal responsibilities and make them the responsibility of the government, if you want us to become even more global, if you want to nationalize health care, and force more business out of the country with higher and higher taxes, if you want to take away my right to own my semi-automatic pistols (nevermind the 'evil black rifles' we own, and after that, we'll take all of my revolvers, too) and liberalize even more laws to make it a criminal offense to defend yourself then I am not voting for you.

And Scott, if you really think I'm the only one questioning the even-handedness of those websites then you haven't been paying attention to the same people I'm paying attention to. That doesn't surprise me, as we are obviously on either side of the political spectrum from each other.

I've said time and time again I don't like McCain. But don't try to pin globalism on just him, it's in every single politician in Washington, particularly the Democrats, and there are plenty of Republicans on the bandwagon. I am voting for McCain because I believe he will hurt me less.

I do believe Obama has a huge machine behind him, and I don't believe for a minute it's a simple political movement. He scares me. There's huge power behind him, and that's not what America is about, one having huge power.

Yes, it is a very touchy subject, and one I wish would die down. I've resigned myself to an Obama presidency. I've also resigned myself to the realization that most people don't see the significance of their inaction, their apathy. The USA is drifting away, and there's nothing I can do about it but vote my conscience, against it. So with my resignation to the tide, don't bother trying to counter what I believe, it's just not a productive subject.

My one question in all of this - how can you be for self-sufficiency and also be for a big-government type like Obama, who wants to micromanage every aspect of your personal responsibility? The two just don't meet in the middle.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Obama is supposed to win the presidency in order for certain Biblical prophesies to be fulfilled? :rolleyes:

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau
Please let's not go there. That truth-o-meter is so obviously rigged it isn't funny. No, I am not going to go tit-for-tat on this. It isn't worth it. Fact check organizations that are backed by the likes of George Soros aren't going to give us any facts at all, just spin, and left leaning spin at that.

I am truly sad at what is going to happen to the United States of America. The best times are gone. Soon we will be a member of the EU, which is what the globalists all want. Be prepared.
reinbeau, You expressed my thoughts exactly. There is sooooo much "spin" today regarding Senator Obama's life before he was in politics and since his time in the political arena has been so short by comparison, I feel I don't know him well enough to trust him. I do know there is alot of distortion of the facts by his team and suporters when they speak about John McCain. I have watched ralleys and debates on TV only to hear an Obama "wonk" totally distort what was said, or misrepresent what happened, when they rehash it later. I sometimes wonder if they were watching the same thing I was. These distortions make me concerned how much truth is in the "facts" they spout about Senator Obama life before he became a Senator.

As I have stated, my mistrust of Senator Obama is based in other things, not race. I love this country too much to base my vote on something as trivial as race. In my book, character matters. My mother use to tell me when I was a child "You are who you associate with" and she was right. I can not vote for someone who has so many associations with people whose views and actions are distructive to the United States that I love. I might be able to disregard one of these but he has too many dubious associations to ignore. I do not associate with those who are very vocal about ideas that go against my core beliefs and I expect that those that I vote for do the same. It is what is known as "values".

I fear that we are headed down the path where there will be no "rich" people in the United States for us to aspire to be like, only poor people. The rich can afford to leave (like the larger businesses which already have), to avoid the horrible taxes to come. They have probably sheltered their money to avoid the 50% tax on the way out. When they do leave, there will only be the middle class and the poor. The middle class will then be the new "rich" that will be targeted to pay. Over tax the rich and you will "kill the goose that lays the golden egg" . We cannot afford any additional entitlement programs but Senator Obama has many he is promising to those who cannot pay. As someone who is not rich, and is barely middle class, I want to asppire to become rich and I don't want to be punished when I get there.

Class warfare and raceism gets us no where. Unfortunately there has been too much of both used in this campain by the Obama team. It is unfortunate, I had hopes that we were past all this and America could really be " a shining city on the hill". I will vote for Senator McCain, holding my nose as I do so, because I feel he will do less harm, and I pray that there will be better choices four years from now.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Again, after 8 years of Bush and the hugest government I have ever seen, how can anyone still fear Democrats for "big government?" The places the Bush administration has poked its nose is truly breathtaking. I look to another administration for less government, or at least government in places where it might actually be able to do some good, like environmental protection, balanced immigration reform, etc.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Bush is no conservative. That's the problem with him. Did anyone here who is against Obama say Bush was a good president? Not a one, because he isn't. That doesn't mean we're all going to climb on the democratic bandwagon. I don't see McCain as much of a conservative, either, but he most definitely isn't the most liberal voter in the Senate (that badge belongs to Obama, who even surpasses Kerry in liberal votes, and that's no small feat!). Growing the federal government isn't going to do anyone any good but the people in power, unfortunately, too many believe they're being good citizens marching in lockstep behind the likes of Obama and Pelosi. Somehow they're 'nicer' than those evil conservatives. :rolleyes: Those evil conservatives (of which I'm one) just want some semblence of responsibility to come from the individual, first, before you give control over to a central government. Has Bush done that? Of course not. Will Obama do it? No way.

Again, I'll say, if we're all supposedly striving for self sufficiency, why are we voting for more and more government to control our lives?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
NO BEEKISSED, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE.
I think it is supposed to happen but that doesnt mean it doesnt scare the pants off me. It is very hard to explain, our church members understand, but I cant, it is really hard to put into words. He just makes me very uneasy, and I find it scary that so many people adore him. Phrophecy? I think so.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
My one question in all of this - how can you be for self-sufficiency and also be for a big-government type like Obama, who wants to micromanage every aspect of your personal responsibility? The two just don't meet in the middle.
First off BOTH candidates are big government types. It is just the way politics have evolved in this country. They have to have huge taxes on both sides to pay for war, bailouts etc. There is no way either candidate would or could have small government. The distinctions are not as great as McCain voters would like them to be.

I would really like health care coverage, I have not been able to afford it. If I went and got a job I could get health insurance, but since I choose a low income labor intensive self-sufficient lifestyle, there is no coverage. I do not see McCain's plans working for me, if I don't pay much in taxes now I can't take much off them to get coverage. For me and others who are really low income to get covered we need a more comprehensive system. If you still have a spouse in the work force then you don't have to look at self sufficiency in the same way we do.

I don't want some of the powers turned back over to the states from being centralized. Ours is a diverse nation, but there are pockets of people in geographic areas who think more or less similarly about what they want for laws. This is why many of you want these rights turned back to the states. However, if you are a minority (lifestyle, beliefs, etc.) in one of these states you risk losing your nationally granted liberties. The national view has to be broader to incorporate all the diversity than the local views where a few "outsiders" can be put down as unimportant. A silly little example of this is that a state that was mostly cities could ban people from keeping chickens, even in the rural areas (and some might if bird flu got bad).

A not silly example is that states of mostly one religion could inact laws that impose some of their religeous beliefs on the minority who are not. I understand why this will be seen as a good thing from those in the majority, they believe so strongly that their way is the only truth. This is what scares me the most is that we, as a country and particularly in some locations, are losing tolerance for differences of faith. I think we have to be very careful in how we manage our government to allow for us to all live nicely as neighbors. There are some politicians at all levels of government who gain support by trying to impose one set of religeous values on the whole constituancy.

I think one commonality here is that we all seem to be trying to pick the lesser of the worst candidate.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but there are more than 2 candidates running. There are actually 13 presidential candidates on our ballot here in IN. I was thinking of voting for Nader because I agree with most of his policies, but since I looked at the ballot, I realize I need to do some more research. I'm going to find the candidate that most closely represents my beliefs, and vote for them. I don't feel right about not voting, and I am SO SICK of holding my nose when I go to the polls, that I am NOT going to do it this year.

It is really nice to see a political discussion that hasn't devolved into name-calling. I wonder when everyone started taking politics so personally (not talking about you guys, of course!) :)