Pressure canners

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like to step up my canning this summer and am looking at canners.

Does anyone have any advice or experience that they can share?? I am new to much of this and only canned once before.

I am ordering Putting Food By!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Follow the canner's instructions. Don't wing it like I did: bean soup disaster, haha.
Your local county extension office can answer most questions. They frequently offer canning classes and will check your canner's pressure valve which is nice.
I buy them at yard sales and run them down to the office for a free safety check. It's a great service.

Old timers are a wealth of information, especially about foods or combinations not in the manual. If you don't know any, a trip to your senior center has ladies there with knowledge.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put an ad for canning material on our tradio program, (a radio program that you can ask or sell things)

Low and behold my neighbor called me and said she had all the jars, cookers, rings etc and if I wanted to she would give me the jars and figure out a price on the pressure cookers. I think If you ask around or place an ad you might have everything you need by springtime.

Good Luck

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
a Walmart employee argued with me that a pressure cooker and a pressure canner was the same thing. She showed me and I politely said you can't put your jars in this one and you can't tell how much pressure there is and she continued to tell me they are all the same and this is it. She was older than I was so I politely thanked her and walked away. So I'm still looking.

jackie

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
jackiedon said:
a Walmart employee argued with me that a pressure cooker and a pressure canner was the same thing. She showed me and I politely said you can't put your jars in this one and you can't tell how much pressure there is and she continued to tell me they are all the same and this is it. She was older than I was so I politely thanked her and walked away. So I'm still looking.

jackie
Try a hardware store instead.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
jackiedon said:

jackie
Try a hardware store instead.
That's where we bought ours, at the local hardware store. They even stock a lot of the spare parts for them like the sealing rings and such. We have two of the Presto 16 qt units with an extra shelf for each one so we can process up to 14 pts per canner when pressure canning. It sure makes thing go a lot faster!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I never thought to look at a hardware store for a pressure canner and I love hardware stores. Thanks for the input.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought my big ol' All American on Ebay. Putting Food By is one of the best canning, self-sufficient books ever.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a ceramic top stove so got the Presto 23-quart model at Ace Hardware, and I love it so much that I was just doing a search online an hour ago to buy a second one! If I am chained to the kitchen, I might as well have two going at once! I can put 20 regular-mouth pints in there at once. Just imagine getting 40 days worth of catfood canned in one shot.....