Pressure cooker operation

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Aww. It's kinda cute. But look at those big ole maw paws!
Now was that ex-wife #1 or #2?
You are thinking of the naked mole rats on the other side of the house - those I just squish.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Did you hear the one about the Noble man who had an estate that was getting ruined by moles?

He asked around the local pub to find the best mole hunter of them all. Everyone recommended a crazy old cider swilling Scotsman. The Noble hired the Scot on the spot.

The next day the old Scot showed up with his bags, traps and a big jug of his favorite brew ready to do his work. He knocked on the door of the Noble to negotiate his terms. "I'llll catch your mole fer a shilling a piece" he said with his thick accent, "Then I'lllll (that is him rolling his L's :lol: ) kill them in any humane way of yur choosin'"

The Noble man agreed and began thinking of how he would like the moles to be destroyed. The more he thought about it the more he realized HOW MUCH money and annoyance those stupid moles had caused. He had to pay the Scotsman and the gardener. He had to pay to have the lawns and gardens all repaired. He had to pay to replace plants the moles had damaged. Why he had EVEN lost out on a big money deal the day he went to the pub to hire the mole hunter. The more he thought about it, the madder he got. He decided that a humane death was something those moles would NEVER get!!

After three days hunting the staggering Scot showed up at the castle door with a large bag brim FULL of wiggly moles. In the front hall the Noble man watched while the gardener and the Scotsman counted the moles by lifting them one by one from one bag into another. There were 1000 moles in all! That came to 50 POUNDS! The last straw.

The Noble then turned to the Scot and said, "I know you said I was to think of a humane way for you to dispose of those horrible creatures, but I will NOT! I am prepared to DOUBLE your wages IF you think of the most HORRIBLE way that you could ever DIE and then do the same to those moles in your sack!"

Now the Scotsman was basically a kind drunk and really did not want to horribly murder the poor little moles, but 100 pounds could keep him in cider for several years to come, so he agreed.

He took the sack and away he went. A few hours later he returned to the Noble's house to collect his prize. The Noble gave him the money. As he was leaving he stopped the Scotsman and asked him the question. "I have dreamed about it all afternoon and I just HAVE to know. Did you kill them in the most HORRIBLE way that you could ever die?"

"You bet I did!", said the Scot patting his bulging pockets and taking a big swill from his cider jug. "I BURIED THEM ALL ALIVE!!!" :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could try canning it. Canned dog meat! :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
"I BURIED THEM ALL ALIVE!!!" funny I never saw it coming

Mackay said:
You could try canning it. Canned dog meat! :lol:
Too late I threw it in the garbage fire, it is now a MoleMcNugget.

I have read that juicy fruit gum diced into small pieces and put in the active holes will plug them up then die, others say only a spike trap will kill them. When I see a mound of dirt wriggling I either run it over with the lawn tractor or jump on it as hard as I can - I doubt that does anything but ruins their day but its kinda fun playing whack a mole. Besides it looks like they are making a bee line towards the preachers place and will let him work his miraculous ways with them.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I just ate the spicy italians that were canned the other day that the seal failed on, I fried them up in an iron skillet but had to add much butter as I think the fat was sucked out of them in the parboil and canning process. The sausages crumbled easily so I added onions and peppers then filled pita bread with the ketchup laden mixture of heartburn - they were quite tasty.

I hope pressure canning meat is safe as everyone says, I'd really hate to have to use my medical insurance as it only includes a shovel and a hole.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys got me into but am a bit overwhelmed with a lot less money.

I just finished pressure canning 7 pints of fruit, 2 apple, 2 pear, and 3 oranges. I did not look at the clock for the total time but it took hours to peel, core, slice, make syrup, wash and heat jars, simmer lids - the list seemed endless. I used all my pots, stove burners, and counter space.

I'm glad I bought jar tongs today for $3 as picking them up with a hot pad was a pain, the 99 cent orange peeler was great and so was the melon baller to de-core the apples and pears once 1/4 sliced. The magnetic pickup stick from my tool box was nice for retrieving the hot lids and this time I actually wiped off the jar rim after filling.

I kept the naked pears in 1/4 cup of lemon juice and water mixture and apple slices under apple juice to stop from browning as I prepared everything else, you need to get an order of regimentation down to make this a smooth operation. I blanched the apples in left over juice from my hard apple cider and pears in simple syrup of 50/50 water, the oranges were cold packed using the remaining syrup from the pears.

I didn't plant anything but one lonely tomato seedling in a 5 gallon bucket but plan on hitting the farmers market once prices drop later in the summer and can enough for the winter. Being in Kentucky I don't need any of those hard crispy apples for that loose tooth trick and now prefer spicy baked ones instead, I imagine canned ones will be similar.

I read that you should not re-use lids, is that the gospel? I did buy extra at $1/12

The beef stew meat I cold packed raw the other day is only covered in half a jar of liquid - actually fat as it is solid in the refrigerator, I don't plan on raw packing anymore but was just curious about all the open space being a good thing or not?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you can get your lids for $1.00 per 12, ya better git all you can git! Around here they are 2 bucks + per dozen in most places.

Next time you can your pears, try doing them in apple juice and add ONE cinnamon stick to each jar. It was hard for me to wrap my head around, but man are they ever tasty!!
Also.....when you have peeled and cored your apples, soak them in Fruit Fresh or citric acid to keep them from turning brown. ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I usually water bath my fruits.

Yes - the air space, properly called head space, in the jar DOES matter. Too large a space can allow the food to discolor or even (rare) spoil in the jar. It takes PRACTICE and more practice until everything comes out right consistently.

You are doing the right thing. When you jump in at the deep end you usually will learn how to swim! :lol: Just keep asking those questions and practicing. :cool: