price increases again...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we did our fruit shopping for the week yesterday, they had the 2 pound blocks of medium cheddar on sale for $3.99 so I picked up some cheese. I probably should have bought more. There was a store brand 2 pound of sharp cheddar on sale for $4.99 as well that I grabbed. Milk products are usually pretty affordable around here though. We found a butcher that has very good meat prices last year, so we're off the omg prices on meat. They're a very old place and raise their own herd. That place is always packed when we go.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Yes, please BB! I sometimes make it with italian seasoning and some other random junk, but I always end up making it too spicy for my "lightweights" (George and Tripp), lol.

WBF, thank you very much! I'll have to get onion and garlic powder, but I'm almost positive I can get them for $0.50 per bottle. I only have the diced/flaked version for onion and only chives and fresh garlic for taste, lol. My spice cabinet is choking itself out and somehow I have managed to NOT have onion and garlic powder, lol.
1 Can of Tomato Sauce (15 Oz.)
1 Can of Tomato Paste (8 Oz.)
1 TBSP of Ground Oregano
1 1/2 TSP of Garlic Powder
1 TSP of Ground Paprika

I found this online, and we love it! I always add about 4 HEAPING TSPs of Molasses....but that is optional of course.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
When we did our fruit shopping for the week yesterday, they had the 2 pound blocks of medium cheddar on sale for $3.99 so I picked up some cheese. I probably should have bought more. There was a store brand 2 pound of sharp cheddar on sale for $4.99 as well that I grabbed. Milk products are usually pretty affordable around here though. We found a butcher that has very good meat prices last year, so we're off the omg prices on meat. They're a very old place and raise their own herd.
Good to hear about your option there, Hinotori.

We get American PBS satellite broadscasts up here, and tonight I was watching the 5:30PM U.S. news report, which had a focus on the 2012 drought and its effect on staple crops and food prices. The 2012 corn harvest in the U.S. is now assessed as down 17% from the level expected last month (that's a national average, with production in some states being much more drastically reduced). Soybean harvest too will be lower than expected.

As we know this affects food prices, as corn is the source of a lot of processed-food ingredients, and both corn and soybeans are used in meat-animal feeding. The PBS report followed up this topic. Wholesale prices are already increasing, on the basis of the law of supply and demand. New York City restaurants (which they focussed on a little) are encountering price hikes on meat, poultry, and dairy which, in a lot of cases, will have to be passed onto customers. Last month a national food index predicted a 3-4% overall increase in food costs in the U.S.

I'm sure the situation will also affect Canada, where I live. Those of us on this SS board raising out own food are fortunate (or smart) in times like these.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have the chickens for eggs and meat, though my preferred cockerel isn't mature yet. I bought three months worth of feed when it was on sale to help reduce my costs. My birds are good foragers and free range most of the time to help with the food costs.

I've also taken to picking up the food in the evening and putting it out after dawn. This has reduced our losses to both voles and birds to the point we're going through much less food. I think the birds were the biggest culprits. Flying rats I tell you. Between traps and dog we've reduced the voles by the house to only a couple.

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Lol. The only time I eat a lot of eggs is when I do pickled eggs. Then I can devour a dozen in a day no problem. Of course, you could setup a methane plant around my arse after a few days of eating pickled eggs.

:yuckyuck

I laughed so hard at this, I almost wet my pants.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have a club here called P.I.S.S.I. (People In Support of Stress-induced Incontinence), if you're interested? :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We have a club here called P.I.S.S.I. (People In Support of Stress-induced Incontinence), if you're interested? :D
OK, that's it! I can't take it anymore! Now there's coffee all over my monitor. Sign me up, too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey...there's a thread somewhere on here about making one's own incontinence and period pads. Darn it, I knew I should have kept that info for the monthly...um...ah.. :hide the regular newsletter.

:D