price increases again...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's easy to make your own granola from the base ingredients and much cheaper in the long run. If you really look at some of the so-called granola cereals, the primary grain you will find is puffed rice~a lot of it. And lots of sugar. The better ones have regular oats that you can buy in bulk as the primary grain.

Here's a simple recipe for granola but these ingredients can vary...whatever you can put in there that pleases you and won't hurt your purse too much. Honey, molasses, sunflower seeds, various nuts, cranberries, etc. can be more cheaply obtained when buying them in bulk and making the recipes at home...and the base ingredients will last you a long, long time. Think of how many tiny boxes of granola can be made and how much cheaper they can be produced right on your own counter.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30062-basic-granola

Same with the Salad Fixin's mixes you can buy for a big price in a small bottle....if you look at the ingredients you can see that it is much, much cheaper to just make your own from the individual ingredients.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are awesome! Any idea where to get rolled oats? I don't recall seeing them at the amish bulk foods store. I know you can buy them at the feed store, but not so sure that I trust them with handling it enough to eat it myself... Besides, their layer mash tastes like a$$, lol. I do have steel cut oats, but not sure they'd work as well, and I'm guessing that the old fashioned oatmeal isn't going to work either.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, I think your analysis of commercial granolas is right on the mark. And your suggestions for adjusting to a better set of ingredients for a healthy cereal is too.

A little experimentation and you get the balance of ingredients and oven time to where you like it.

I think you've got the right philosophy on granola, Bee. My wife makes ours, and - when you average-out the cost of the basic ingredients, bought more or less in bulk - it's the cost-effective way to go... no doubt about it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And you aren't eating Rice Crispies...in disguise. :D Joel, do you have a specific recipe that you like or do you just change it up now and again? I like to make different kinds so that I don't get bored. I can make that stuff now because the kids aren't around to gobble a whole bag in one sitting.... :rolleyes:

Regular ol' cooking oats with the funny guy in the hat on the box will work just fine. Oats is oats....whether rolled, flattened, cut or ground.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make my granola in my crock pot--never burns that way :)

Just prop the lid open with a spoon or something to let the steam out, and stir it from time to time. The heating element in a crock pot runs around the outside, so watch your hot spot if your crock pot has one (mine is at the back).

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
I make my granola in my crock pot--never burns that way :)

Just prop the lid open with a spoon or something to let the steam out, and stir it from time to time. The heating element in a crock pot runs around the outside, so watch your hot spot if your crock pot has one (mine is at the back).
I make mine in the crock pot too! Always had issues with the oven, but the crock pot works great, and I found some of those liners dirt cheap a while back and use those. Makes clean up a snap now!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go get more oatmeal then. I have everything else (except the veggie oil, I'm assuming that any other oil will work just as well), so I'm excited to try this. That grapenut crap is like munching on fish food. It gives me the texture I need, but is very lacking in the taste department! Thanks so much for it. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Betta, I don't make granola; I make a sort of Muesli, which doesn't have any oil in it. But I think I remember reading a granola recipe that used coconut oil; I bet that would taste great, and it is more healthful than veg. oil (more expensive too, but I have found that a little goes a long way.) (And if you decide not to eat it all it makes a really nice face moisturizer :lol:; I rub a little on at night, so I don't smell like a macaroon all day ;))

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL! My favorite soap is actually 100% coconut oil! I used to use it in my hair (conditioner BEFORE shampoo), but now I just spray the ends with a spray lotion and that's easier for me, lol. I have so much freaking oil in the house that it's not even funny, so I won't be too worried about the price for a tiny bit for cooking. Olive oil is actually CHEAP! $10 for 3L!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we eat very little cereal here. I don't eat it ever. Kiddo gets a few of the kids things but not much. heck she isn't a huge fan either.

but the granola that hubby likes-- HE WANTS that ONE. no way any homemade or knockoff is going to work. I wish it would but he is a Kashi Cocoa Beach LOVER! :)
any other type granola he wouldn't touch.

sometimes you gotta buy a few store things that the family likes. I mean I can't control everything that goes into HIS mouth. he is an adult :lol:

Granola in the crock pot. never heard of that and that is great. means not turning on the oven. I love that!!